MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Icy Sparks, plus links to write your own review.

Icy Sparks

by Gwyn Hyman Rubio

Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio X
Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio

Mar 2001, 308 pages
    Apr 2001, 308 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for Icy Sparks

Phil

Excellent - moving, endearing and will resonate after reading.
Liz

Icy Sparks is one of the best books I've ever read. I REALLY enjoyed it. I couldn't put it down. I had to read it for a class and I'm glad I did!
becca

Icy Sparks is a an excellent choice if one wants to feel and get carried away by various powerful emotions. The writing style enables one to experience the "real" and "imagined" situations the characters are undergoing. The heroine, Icy Sparks, is an inspiring character. She exhibits strength, intelligence, curiosity and hope in the midst of several heartaches and rejections. And yet, Icy Sparks is far from perfection. She can be spiteful, cynical and hard-headed. In other words, her character is very human, very real. Aside from that, the book encourages readers to read more about Tourette's syndrome, which in itself is a good and noble purpose. The book is a lesson on sensitivity, open-mindedness and acceptance.
HollyK

A fabulous book for teacher education. Teaches sensitivity and tolerance. A+++
Felicia

I love this book!! this book taught me things that I didnt quite understand before. Gywn Hyman Rubio is a FANTASTIC writer and I hope that she keeps catching my breath as well as other readers like myself.
S.M.M

Icy Sparks is not a book I probably would have picked up and read if it hadn't been assigned by a book club I belong to. Overall it was an enjoyable read. I felt the author did a good job of conveying the thoughts and emotions of a young girl who is "different." I notice someone else reviewing on this page liked the beginning and end, but not the middle - I found that intriging, because I enjoyed the beginning and middle but disliked the ending!!! Several members of our book club wondered if the ending had been written by a different author - Icy's character and habits seem to change so abruptly!! I thought the ending was flat.
pebbles_c

I read this book after seeing an episode about Tourette's syndrome on Oprah. I've always been interested in the abnormal and I loved the quirkiness of Icy's character. This is a terrific book for anyone to read--especially those who want to understand the abnormalities of our society.
Kate

I enjoyed this book and was suprised by the characters which are still with me. The book jacket, for me, was correct. I enjoyed getting to know Icy and found the book enjoyable.

• Book Jacket: Sleepovers
    Sleepovers
    by Ashleigh Bryant Phillips
    In Ashleigh Bryant Phillips' debut story collection, Sleepovers, it can be difficult to keep tabs on...
    The Beekeeper of Aleppo
    by Christy Lefteri
    In Christy Lefteri's sophomore novel, The Beekeeper of Aleppo, the author introduces readers to ...
    Cantoras
    by Carolina De Robertis
    Cantoras by Carolina De Robertis follows five characters who share a house, troubles, joys and parts...
  • Book Jacket: Daughters Of Smoke & Fire
    Daughters Of Smoke & Fire
    by Ava Homa
    Ava Homa's debut novel begins with an epigraph by Sherko Bekas, a Kurdish poet, the last lines of ...

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Win Of Bears and Ballots

An Alaskan Adventure in Small-Town Politics

A charming account of holding local office with an entertaining, quirky cast of characters.

A S Louder T W