MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Villa, plus links to write your own review.

The Villa

Apr 2002, 496 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Villa

pointereader

Like wine? Read it
I'm a fan of Roberts and red wine, so this was a dream read. It's vintage Roberts (glossy people and settings, sex plus suspense, quick pace), so anyone looking for deep characters, semicolons, or the meaning of life should cork this bottle up and take a drink of Henry James instead. (But beware, you'll be sipping for a lot longer...) Fans of Roberts won't be disappointed. Fans of the vine will like it too--pair it with a chilly night, a fireplace and a nice glass of Pinot Noir. Mmmmmm.
Wanda G

I absolutely loved this book. It was like I was there in the book observing everything with my own eyes and ears. It has non-stop excitement and suspense. Nora Roberts has a way with words that made me feel this way. I could only wish to write in such a way.
Cynthia San Antonio

I cannot put the book down once I started reading it. It will keep you in suspense all through-out. You can never guess who killed who in the story.

I've just listened to the audiotape of Nora Roberts "The Villa." The actress reading the tape is obviously very good, even though the male voices are quite ugly.
As to the novel itself, I wonder how popular writers create the atmosphere in which nothing matters. Craft and surface is everything. We don;t care about motivation or characters, only how the genre writer will shape a plot that no one cares about. Everything is like a crystal, all artificiality and no heart. Sophia, Ty, Pilar, the Matriarch, the villains are totally unreal, just shapes in a fictional theme park. How do they do it?

• Book Jacket: The Mercies
    The Mercies
    by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
    It's 1617 and a violent storm has claimed the lives of 40 fishermen off the coast of Vardø, a ...
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...
  • Book Jacket: Run Me to Earth
    Run Me to Earth
    by Paul Yoon
    Suspenseful and elegant storytelling in Run Me to Earth kept me turning pages even through traumatic...
  • Book Jacket: Beheld
    Beheld
    by TaraShea Nesbit
    Much like her debut novel The Wives of Los Alamos, TaraShea Nesbit's Beheld imagines a familiar ...

And They Called It Camelot
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

An unforgettable portrait of American legend Jackie O.

The Mountains Sing
    by Nguyen Phan Que Mai

An enveloping, multigenerational tale set against the backdrop of the Viet Nam War.

The Things They Carried
by Tim O'Brien

The classic, ground-breaking meditation on war and the redemptive power of storytelling.

Win The Firsts