Reader reviews and comments on The Villa, plus links to write your own review.

The Villa

Apr 2002, 496 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Villa

pointereader

Like wine? Read it
I'm a fan of Roberts and red wine, so this was a dream read. It's vintage Roberts (glossy people and settings, sex plus suspense, quick pace), so anyone looking for deep characters, semicolons, or the meaning of life should cork this bottle up and take a drink of Henry James instead. (But beware, you'll be sipping for a lot longer...) Fans of Roberts won't be disappointed. Fans of the vine will like it too--pair it with a chilly night, a fireplace and a nice glass of Pinot Noir. Mmmmmm.
Wanda G

I absolutely loved this book. It was like I was there in the book observing everything with my own eyes and ears. It has non-stop excitement and suspense. Nora Roberts has a way with words that made me feel this way. I could only wish to write in such a way.
Cynthia San Antonio

I cannot put the book down once I started reading it. It will keep you in suspense all through-out. You can never guess who killed who in the story.

I've just listened to the audiotape of Nora Roberts "The Villa." The actress reading the tape is obviously very good, even though the male voices are quite ugly.
As to the novel itself, I wonder how popular writers create the atmosphere in which nothing matters. Craft and surface is everything. We don;t care about motivation or characters, only how the genre writer will shape a plot that no one cares about. Everything is like a crystal, all artificiality and no heart. Sophia, Ty, Pilar, the Matriarch, the villains are totally unreal, just shapes in a fictional theme park. How do they do it?

• Book Jacket: The Liar
    The Liar
    by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen
    The Liar is a book that will make its readers uncomfortable by design; set in modern-day Israel, it ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dutch House
    The Dutch House
    by Ann Patchett

There are a few times in life when you leap up and the past that you'd been standing on falls away ...

• Book Jacket: The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
    The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
    by Kim Michele Richardson
    A loyal animal companion, treks through gorgeous but forbidding wilderness, glimpses of larger ...
  • Book Jacket: Where the Light Enters
    Where the Light Enters
    by Sara Donati
    In this thrilling follow-up to The Gilded Hour, doctors Sophie and Anna Savard take on a baffling ...

Motherhood So White
    by Nefertiti Austin

A heartwarming memoir of motherhood and adoption told through an African American lens.

The Shadow King
    by Maaza Mengiste

"A brilliant novel, lyrically lifting history towards myth. It's also compulsively readable."
    —Salman Rushdie

Win The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

An enchanting story for fans of The Little Paris Bookshop and The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

L, Damn L, A S