Reader reviews and comments on My Dream of You, plus links to write your own review.

My Dream of You

by Nuala O'Faolain

My Dream of You by Nuala O'Faolain X
My Dream of You by Nuala O'Faolain

Feb 2001, 528 pages
    Feb 2002, 544 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for My Dream of You

Martha Mooney Waltien

It has been six months, now, since I read "My Dream of You", but I found the book to be beautifully written, elegant, beautifully crafted and one that you wish would go on and on. This is a truly great writer (an Irishwoman) and I also highly recommend her autobiography, "Are You Somebody" which was the number one best seller in Ireland not too long ago.
Heather Nelson

I finished My Dream of You just two weeks ago, and I still find myself thinking about it ALL the time. It is extremely powerful, and having visited Ireland for the first time two years ago after dreaming of the country most of my adult life.....the history and detail of Ireland in the book makes me long to go back with almost a sense of desperation. I have to admit that I had trouble with the transitions between past and present, and do wish that had been smoother. That said, obviously the writer is talented beyond words because the meaning she was trying to get across transcended the books minor problems.

I look forward to purchasing more of her work.
fran mitchell

There needs to be a way that good writers can transit from one time period to another and then back again to the now. That transition could be only a phrase or a melody but not the "jolt" that leaves a reader groping for the year and sense of place. The old cliche' of "meanwhile back at the ranch" had a purpose. My Dream Of You is a good read to anyone who has a strong interest in Ireland's troubled past. Indeed, she is dreaming of many who are the YOU: Her mother, father, brothers and the lost soul of Ireland. Author O'Faolain has the skill but could use more ambiguitity to tell the story. Once she explains the sexual encounters she is very specific, more so than a reader needs.

Her female supporting characters are outstanding and really move the story along. O'Faolain has a gfit for dialogue. The author does a fine job explaining the friendship between a gay man and the accomplished carreer woman. A reader can sense a profound loss of his friendship as well as her restless "lady without a home" personna. The journey takes many years to prompt her epiphany and remorse. Although her world travels and brief love affairs help her through the alienation time, it is her family and Ireland that allow her to sort it all out.
Anonymous

Karla Powell
Good book if you can keep different thoughts of the author together. She switches quite often to different thoughts in the book. Sad, somewhat depressing, of a lonely woman trying to find herself.
It was o.k.

• Book Jacket: Mothers of Sparta
    Mothers of Sparta
    by Dawn Davies
    What it's about:
    The tagline on the back cover of Mothers of Sparta says it all: "Some women...
  • Book Jacket: Fortress America
    Fortress America
    by Elaine Tyler May

The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck

Next Year in Havana
    by Chanel Cleeton

a Cuban-American woman travels to Havana, where she finds a family secret hidden since the revolution.

Only Child
    by Rhiannon Navin

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading, you wish the author that wrote it was a ...

G O T P, B The P, F T P