Announcing our Top 20 Books of 2022 and Award Winners

What readers think of Cloud Sketcher, plus links to write your own review.

Cloud Sketcher

by Richard Rayner

Cloud Sketcher by Richard Rayner X
Cloud Sketcher by Richard Rayner

Feb 2001, 448 pages

Mar 2002, 448 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Cloud Sketcher

Linda B

I have to admit I took a couple of months of on and off reading to get into this story but stuck with it and I am glad that I did. It was a wonderful story that took a small, frightened, bullied child and showed his dogged determination to achieve his dream against strong contriction.

I am so glad I got the chance to read this novel before (if they do) make it into a film, but Brad Pitt as Esko??? I don't think so. The wonderfully talented actor - Kevin Spacey would do the job justice I think. Robert Carlyle as Paul Mantilini, and Gywneth Paltrow as Katerina with Lazarus played by Brian Blessed.

Here's hoping!

I'm off to buy another of Richard Rayner's books - just magic.
Tomek

This Book is really perfect. :P

Regards

Tomek
ckootstra@yahoo.com

Two different books in one.

Don't let the rest of my review mislead you: this is a good book, that is well worth reading !!
It starts as a strange poetic description of rural Finland, written in a style that reminded me of fairy tales. It develops into a unique account of the Finnish Civil War and the shocking aftermath in which many Finns were killed by their countrymen.
Then Esko (our "hero") moves to the States to pursue his dream of building a skyscraper and find the woman he loves. With the scene, the writing changes too. It develops into an "ordinary" love story where the characters are leading strange lives, mostly because there is no character analysis and we are just to guess (or use our own imagination) as to what moves them.
The pace remains hectic, but logic comes thin and far between.
But of course, we all want to know what happens to the lead characters (will they get each other ?) and thus we soldier on to the last page.

Join and Save 20%!

Become a member and
discover exceptional books.

• Book Jacket: Horse
    Horse
    by Geraldine Brooks
    Voted 2022 Best Fiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. Geraldine Brooks creates a ...
  • Book Jacket: In Love
    In Love
    by Amy Bloom
    Voted 2022 Best Nonfiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. In 2019, author Amy Bloom and her...
  • Book Jacket: Remarkably Bright Creatures
    Remarkably Bright Creatures
    by Shelby Van Pelt
    Shelby Van Pelt's debut novel, Remarkably Bright Creatures, is set in the fictional town of Sowell ...

Members Recommend

Scatterlings
    by Resoketswe Martha Manenzhe

The debut novel of a gifted storyteller who has become a sensation in her native South Africa.

The Big Holiday Wordplay

Honor
by Thrity Umrigar

The moment we persuade a child, any child, to cross that threshold into a library, we've changed their lives ...