Summer Sale! Save 20% today and get access to all our member benefits.

What readers think of The Bonesetter's Daughter, plus links to write your own review.

The Bonesetter's Daughter

by Amy Tan

The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan X
The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan

Feb 2001, 400 pages

Jan 2002, 416 pages

There are currently 33 reader reviews for The Bonesetter's Daughter

Helen

This was a very good book! I could not put it down!
Cathryn Conroy

A Story About the Power of Family, Tradition and Love
This story effortlessly and fluidly jumps from the present to the past and back again, as well as from San Francisco to China and back again as accomplished author Amy Tan tells the tale of three generations of Chinese women: Precious Auntie, LuLing and Ruth.

LuLing, who is well into her 80s, is showing signs of Alzheimer's disease, and while Ruth takes care of her mother--and relives much of her own hurtful childhood--she finds extensive writings her mother has done. It's a memoir of her mother's life growing up in China.

This book is filled with secrets, mysteries, superstitions and curses that one by one are resolved or put to rest. But it is also a story about the power of family, tradition and love that stretches between generations.
Sierra Marsh

My thoughts about this book.
I had to read this book for summer homework for Honors English 10 and I thought because a teacher picked the book that it was going to be boring and that I wouldn't like it but I do. It was a good book but if my grade for the first 4 weeks of school in this class weren't depending on reading this book, I probably wouldn't have read this book.
Farah

Nice book but it's not excellent!
Amy Tan's a good writer. Actually I only read the book because I was assigned to, by school but I liked most of it. The characters and situations were very interesting and it takes maturity to appriciate most of the emotions displayed in this book. I liked this book, although it had a slow beginging.Because of the begining,it's not excellent.
Timo

The Bonesetters Daughter rocks!!!
anaki

I'm 17 years old and as a school project, I was asked to read this novel. Overall, it's a good book. There is no doubt that she did successful job in painting the characters' emotions. The plot is also interesting and original. However, I can't help but compare this novel to her other works and I noticed that the Bonesetter's Daughter is re-using a lot of old materials. Other than that, everything else is excellent. The way the story is narrated makes it all the more intriguing. The beginning is a tad slow though.
rachel de

very groovi book, could be inmproved, but only slightly. not the best book ive read, but still, fab!
Matt

It was a good book. I enjoyed reading it.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Ballad of Jacquotte Delahaye
    The Ballad of Jacquotte Delahaye
    by Briony Cameron
    Our titular heroine's story begins in Yáquimo, Santo Domingo. Jacquotte Delahaye is a young ...
  • Book Jacket: Another Word for Love
    Another Word for Love
    by Carvell Wallace
    "I write about beautiful things because I live in a country that has tried to kill me and every...
    The Flower Sisters
    by Michelle Collins Anderson
    Michelle Collins Anderson's novel The Flower Sisters, based in part on a real tragedy that occurred ...
  • Book Jacket: Craft
    Craft
    by Ananda Lima
    You may have heard about books that are letters to God, but what about books that are letters to the...

BookBrowse Book Club

The 1619 Project
by Nikole Hannah-Jones
An impactful expansion of groundbreaking journalism, The 1619 Project offers a revealing vision of America's past and present.
Win This Book
Win The Bluestockings

The Bluestockings by Susannah Gibson

An illuminating group portrait of the eighteenth-century women who dared to imagine an active life for themselves in both mind and spirit.

A W in S C