What readers think of The Death of Vishnu, plus links to write your own review.

The Death of Vishnu

Jan 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Death of Vishnu

Bernard Zandovsky

Death of Vishnu: Good Book
This was a really good book. Really well written. I liked this book a lot.
Sandipa

The Death of Vishnu
This is one of the best book that I have read recently. Manil Suri has managed to justify each of his character in depth. While reading, you wait for a new chapter to start and next action from each of the character. Be it Mr. Jalal trying to search God or Kavita a typical teenager, all are defined so well. A very very very good work..!!
Diriye Osman

Manil Suri's The Death Of Vishnu is a subtle balancing act in which the ordinary world, that of death, that of birth and that of re-encarnation are superbly suffused together with the melodramatic extravagance of Bollywood, adolescent lust, religious infedility and Indian Mythology.
The end result is economical and comical---a combination that is rarely witnessed together in modern Fiction.
There have been lazy comparisons made with Salman Rushdie and Arundhati Roy, presumably because they're all Indian Novelists. But this is a fallacious argument that adds nothing to Mr Suri's sharp perspacious prose. His humour and that of Rushdie's are totally contradistintive.
And the epic narrative devises utilized by Ms Roy are absent from this book.
The Death of Vishnu is the first of a trilogy set, and it firmly asserts itself as the work of a significant emerging author.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Long After We Are Gone
    Long After We Are Gone
    by Terah Shelton Harris
    Terah Shelton Harris's marvelous family drama Long After We Are Gone begins with the death of the ...
  • Book Jacket: Exhibit
    Exhibit
    by R O. Kwon
    Exhibit, R.O. Kwon's sophomore novel (after The Incendiaries, 2018), introduces readers to Jin Han, ...
  • Book Jacket: Somehow
    Somehow
    by Anne Lamott
    Anne Lamott knows a thing or two about love. In fact, there is so much of it exuding from her essay ...
    The Wings Upon Her Back
    by Samantha Mills
    Faith is a delicate thing. At its best, it can offer peace in times of crisis. At its worst, it can ...

BookBrowse Book Club

The Pecan Children
by Quinn Connor
Long After We Are Gone
by Terah Shelton Harris
After their father's death, four siblings rally to save their family home in this gripping and hopeful tale.
Win This Book
Win Bright and Tender Dark

Bright and Tender Dark by Joanna Pearson

A beautifully written, wire-taut debut novel about a murder on a college campus and its aftermath twenty years later.

A W in S C