What readers think of Blackbird, plus links to write your own review.

Blackbird

Sep 2000, 410 pages
    Sep 2001, 432 pages

There are currently 14 reader reviews for Blackbird

Mandy

This is the best book Ive ever read this year and will ever be! It's very moving and there should be no other rating apart from 5!
Emma

best book i've read in a long time. i knew nothing about the book before i read it and haven't ever had such a pleasant surprise before a definite one to take on your holidays!
Michele

This is truly a heartfelt book. It takes alot for me to become emotionally invested in a character, yet with this novel the investment is immediate and undeniable. A sometimes haunting, and ultimately uplifiting novel that brings to the forefront a topic that is all too often ignored, parental illness. The way the author leaves a cloud of mystery lingering over the mother's illness and the way she describes in very real terms the daughter's confusion and innocence, makes this a truly great and realistic novel. A unique perspective that enhances the emotional appeal of this book.
Amber

What can I say...the books she writes have touched my life in more ways than I could ever explain.
cyndy

best telling story ever!!!!!!!111111111111
Nikki

I am a 16 year old female. This book was assigned to me for a class project, but I found that once I started to read it, I could not put this book down. While the author does seem to hero worship her mother and father, everyone can see plainly that they are not perfect people, merely human beings. The book has good diction and imagery, giving the reader the ability to connect with the author. i would highly recommend this book, and also Still Waters, the sequel to the book.
Bella

What a wonderful book! Touching and inspirational. Jennifer Lauck recounts her childhood's thoughts and feelings with an honesty and skill that's admirable. I got this book as a gift three years ago and have only recently decided to read it, I have now read it twice and well as her sequel "Still waters" and I could not recommend them enough. It felt so emotionally involved in the story, part of that little's girl's fight to survive, yet unable to do anything to change the cruel hand of destiny that awaited her. You must read this book!
Emily

I have never read a book that has made me cry so much. This book will have you wrapped up in your emothions and it wont let go. If the story doesn't make you cry the wonderous writting will. The beautiful similies start hitting you the moment you start the book. You begin to hear about tissue paper clouds and angry clothing. Jennifer takes one aspect of the book and carries it though the plot. The young little girl will never forget her mothers words of fashion. If you havn't read this book yet I pitty you.

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: The Lost Apothecary
    The Lost Apothecary
    by Sarah Penner
    Sarah Penner's debut novel The Lost Apothecary was rated 4 or 5 stars by 22 of our 23 First ...
  • Book Jacket: The Spymaster of Baghdad
    The Spymaster of Baghdad
    by Margaret Coker
    For the last 17 years, the country of Iraq has known almost constant violence and political upheaval...
  • Book Jacket: Hades, Argentina
    Hades, Argentina
    by Daniel Loedel
    Daniel Loedel's debut novel, Hades, Argentina, opens in 1986 when we meet Tomás Orillo, a young...
  • Book Jacket: Dark Horses
    Dark Horses
    by Susan Mihalic
    Dark Horses is a shocking, heart-pounding debut; it's both a coming-of-age novel and an unflinching ...

Smalltime
    by Russell Shorto

Family secrets emerge as a best-selling author dives into the history of the mob in small-town America.

The Lost Apothecary
    by Sarah Penner

A forgotten history. A secret network of women. A legacy of poison and revenge. Welcome to The Lost Apothecary.

The Narrowboat Summer
by Anne Youngson
From the author of Meet Me at the Museum, a charming novel of second chances.
Win This Book!
Win Band of Sisters

Band of Sisters
by Lauren Willig

"A crackling portrayal of everyday American heroines…A triumph."
— Fiona Davis