We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of Blackbird, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Sep 2000, 410 pages

Sep 2001, 432 pages

There are currently 14 reader reviews for Blackbird

Mandy

This is the best book Ive ever read this year and will ever be! It's very moving and there should be no other rating apart from 5!
Emma

best book i've read in a long time. i knew nothing about the book before i read it and haven't ever had such a pleasant surprise before a definite one to take on your holidays!
Michele

This is truly a heartfelt book. It takes alot for me to become emotionally invested in a character, yet with this novel the investment is immediate and undeniable. A sometimes haunting, and ultimately uplifiting novel that brings to the forefront a topic that is all too often ignored, parental illness. The way the author leaves a cloud of mystery lingering over the mother's illness and the way she describes in very real terms the daughter's confusion and innocence, makes this a truly great and realistic novel. A unique perspective that enhances the emotional appeal of this book.
Amber

What can I say...the books she writes have touched my life in more ways than I could ever explain.
cyndy

best telling story ever!!!!!!!111111111111
Nikki

I am a 16 year old female. This book was assigned to me for a class project, but I found that once I started to read it, I could not put this book down. While the author does seem to hero worship her mother and father, everyone can see plainly that they are not perfect people, merely human beings. The book has good diction and imagery, giving the reader the ability to connect with the author. i would highly recommend this book, and also Still Waters, the sequel to the book.
Bella

What a wonderful book! Touching and inspirational. Jennifer Lauck recounts her childhood's thoughts and feelings with an honesty and skill that's admirable. I got this book as a gift three years ago and have only recently decided to read it, I have now read it twice and well as her sequel "Still waters" and I could not recommend them enough. It felt so emotionally involved in the story, part of that little's girl's fight to survive, yet unable to do anything to change the cruel hand of destiny that awaited her. You must read this book!
Emily

I have never read a book that has made me cry so much. This book will have you wrapped up in your emothions and it wont let go. If the story doesn't make you cry the wonderous writting will. The beautiful similies start hitting you the moment you start the book. You begin to hear about tissue paper clouds and angry clothing. Jennifer takes one aspect of the book and carries it though the plot. The young little girl will never forget her mothers words of fashion. If you havn't read this book yet I pitty you.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    by Shubnum Khan
    Shubnum Khan's eloquent and moving debut novel opens in 1932, when a djinn that haunts a house by ...
  • Book Jacket: Transient and Strange
    Transient and Strange
    by Nell Greenfieldboyce
    Throughout her powerful essay collection, Transient and Strange, science reporter Nell ...
  • Book Jacket: Prophet Song
    Prophet Song
    by Paul Lynch
    Paul Lynch's 2023 Booker Prize–winning Prophet Song is a speedboat of a novel that hurtles...
  • Book Jacket: The Frozen River
    The Frozen River
    by Ariel Lawhon
    "I cannot say why it is so important that I make this daily record. Perhaps because I have been ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)