Reader reviews and comments on Protect and Defend, plus links to write your own review.

Protect and Defend

by Richard North Patterson

Protect and Defend by Richard North Patterson

Dec 2000, 544 pages
    Oct 2001, 608 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Protect and Defend

Ken Irving (12/10/04)

The abortion arguments put forward in the courts made compelling reading and put the reader in the inenviable position of being able to sit in the judge's chair as it were. My own reasoning flowed to and fro with the testimomy and I found myself having to put the book down so that I could mull over the text to form a personal opinions only to find myself wavering again having read the cross-examination and closing statements. Who would want to judge such a case?

The other two main facets of the book, (President v Majority Leader - Senate v Nominee) were equally enthralling giving the reader an insight into the tactics of gaining votes from the opposition party and the potential abusive use of party funding

Having been given the book by a colleage, and being told only that it was a courtroom drama, (and having just finished the Da Vinci Code), I found this to be a wonderfully exciting read
Chip Browning (06/28/02)

I believe it takes a lot of courage to choose the most divisive issue in America--abortion--as the central theme for a work of fiction, but despite his obviously pro-choice views, Richard North Patterson's writing gives surprising and compelling voice to all sides. The subplots build inexorably toward the inevitable revelations, but even when he's being predictable, Patterson keeps the pacing brisk and the journey itself riveting. Protect and Defend is astonishingly good fiction that poses difficult and often uncomfortable questions about real life dilemmas. How the characters that populate the book handle their private demons and public conflicts are what make the book such a compelling read.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Goodbye Days
    Goodbye Days
    by Jeff Zentner
    Guilt can be a heavy burden for anyone to manage, but it's especially difficult for teenagers. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    by Hannah Tinti
    Hannah Tinti follows her spectacular 2008 debut, The Good Thief, with a novel of uncommon ...
  • Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts
    Music of the Ghosts
    by Vaddey Ratner

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

Manderley Forever
    by Tatiana de Rosnay

Bestselling author Tatiana de Rosnay pays homage to Daphne du Maurier.

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

It is a fact of life that any discourse...will always please if it is five minutes shorter than people expect

Y S M B, I'll S Y