MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Avengers, plus links to write your own review.

The Avengers

Oct 2000, 272 pages
    Oct 2001, 272 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for The Avengers

Fabio

The story is talking about a true event the holocaust, one of the most feared event and the most horrible one that could happened ever, and i find couragous a man is talking about it as well as Rich Cohen does with such a coherence and a great diction in the novel.
Cassi Clendenin

This book gives a new side to the horror of the Holocaust. It gives hope to people who can now look at the Holocaust in a different light.
Danielle H.

This book was written encredibly well. The descriptions, the vivid images, everything just made this book great. I had to do it for a report at school and it gave me so much to work with and, no doubt, I would read in again.
J.R. Valenzuela

An amazing story of men and women enduring not only the hell of ghettoization and the machinery of genocide, but also that of combat. Perhaps the most powerful aspect is how it shows the Jewish community of Vilnius in so many dimensions, that how even when faced with a common and horrifying fate, reactions to it are far from uniform. One of the greatest assets the Nazis had was the assumption on the part of those that they dealt with that they could be reasoned with, and it is hard (if not downright maddening) to read of Jewish leaders believing the German's agenda might still be rational to some extent. Highly recommended for any student of Jewish and WWII history, as well as that of early Israel.

Dave Merry
Wow! What a book! I have read others like it, most notably 'O Jerusalem' by Larry Collins & Dominque Lapiere for which 'Avengers' is the highly readable prequel, if you will. A small book, it can be completed in a day but it is packed full of human drama, courage, emotion and the determination of three individuals who refused to accept things as they are/were. This book will grace my bookshelf, like every other book that impresses me as this one has until so that can reread it in the future.

Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...
  • Book Jacket: Run Me to Earth
    Run Me to Earth
    by Paul Yoon
    Suspenseful and elegant storytelling in Run Me to Earth kept me turning pages even through traumatic...
  • Book Jacket: Beheld
    Beheld
    by TaraShea Nesbit
    Much like her debut novel The Wives of Los Alamos, TaraShea Nesbit's Beheld imagines a familiar ...
  • Book Jacket: My Dark Vanessa
    My Dark Vanessa
    by Kate Russell
    The plot of Kate Elizabeth Russell's My Dark Vanessa follows the life of Vanessa Wye, who at the age...

Actress
    by Anne Enright

From the Man Booker Prize–winner, a brilliant and moving novel about celebrity, and power.

The Mountains Sing
    by Nguyen Phan Que Mai

An enveloping, multigenerational tale set against the backdrop of the Viet Nam War.

The Things They Carried
by Tim O'Brien

The classic, ground-breaking meditation on war and the redemptive power of storytelling.

Win The Firsts

The Inside Story of the Women Reshaping Congress

"An intimately told story, with detailed and thought-provoking portraits..."
--New York Times