Reader reviews and comments on Morgan's Run, plus links to write your own review.

Morgan's Run

Jan 2002, 848 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Morgan's Run

c bourke

morgans run
I think this gives an insight into the existence of a criminal and how they were dealt with by English justice in the 18-19 century. I would love to know how much of Morgans run is history & how much fiction.
I couldn't find a Richard Morgan from Bristol with a sentence of 7 years on the list of first fleet prisoners.
It is a pity there is no sequel. as it seems unfinished.
Sandra Baker

Absorbing
Loved this book. I read it some years ago, and have just re purchased it to read again. I had heard back then that there was to be a sequel and have waited ever since for it, to no avail. Hope it happens. I really want to know how the saga continues.
Rustrel

Morgan's run
Very interesting book. How hard was life in England and in Australia in the 18th century. How did they survive such conditions ? But 200 pages less would have made the book even better.
Editterry

how did I miss this?
I've been reading historical fiction and "ship books" since a few years after I could read. I went through all of the Patrick O'Brien books, and some of them twice. I've been a fan of Kenneth Roberts, Thomas Costain, MacKinlay Kantor, James Carlos Blake and more. But the absorbing, page-turning historical fiction is few and far between. Which is why I started reading O'Brien all over again. So it was a nice bonus to discover this "old" book, and enjoy it so much

I'm a sucker for that historical period, and this being the first white settlement in Australia, it didn't take a strong or nuanced character to draw me in. But Richard's a good guy, someone whom we all aspire to, and what better character to take you along to pre-white settlement Australia.

McCullough is good at insinuating historical detail into the narrative without belaboring it. You don't stop and say, wow; you just keep reading.

I'll take heart in figuring there's more undiscovered historical fiction out there, since it doesn't seem like much is coming out now.

• Book Jacket: The Ensemble
    by Tessa Fontaine
  • Book Jacket: The Female Persuasion
    The Female Persuasion
    by Meg Wolitzer
    A college freshman struggling for identity. A 1960s feminist icon attempting to maintain her ...
  • Book Jacket: A Lucky Man
    A Lucky Man
    by Jamel Brinkley
    If his debut collection of short stories, A Lucky Man is any indicator, Jamel Brinkley is poised on ...

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

Eternal Life
    by Dara Horn

The award-winning author returns with an ingenious novel about what it would mean to live forever.

Win The Comedown