Reader reviews and comments on The First Time, plus links to write your own review.

The First Time

by Joy Fielding

The First Time by Joy Fielding

Aug 2000, 352 pages
    Feb 2001, 352 pages

There are currently 8 reader reviews for The First Time

Debra

The first time
I really enjoyed this book, I took it away on holiday for one week and could not put it down. I was drawn in from the beginning to the character of Mattie and could identify totally with the dilemma in which she finds herself. The book is well written and will appeal to many. I read the book and relayed the story to my husband who was also captivated awaiting the outcome. The story gets to the heart of family life with all its ups and downs and loves and losses. It is a sad story but makes the reader realise that life is short and must be led to the full. The story outlines how baggage that follows us from earlier in our lives can destroy the future if we let it. I would recommend this novel and say read and then love and live life to the full!
eyesod02

This book was GREAT! I didn't have high expectations for this book since I usually don't like romance novels, but picked it up at the bookstore since it was a "bargain book" and sounded somewhat interesting. All I have to say is that I don't remember one moment of feeling bored. Books usually have some part in them that are not so interesting, but this story made me want to keep going every second! This book is worth the time and more than the bargain that I got it for!
toothfairy

Masterful storytelling! Joy Fielding creates complex, compelling characters that power the novel from beginning to end. She dares to and succeeds in exploring emotional issues that are as real as they are complicated. This novel hits home. Well, it sure did for me.

Highly recommended!
Anne

Congratulaions Joy Fielding! It's been a long time since i've picked up a book and haven't been able to put it down. 'The First Time' is a story that touches your heart... it can happen to any of us. You brought the characters to life so beautifully and made the story so real, I laughed and cried and clung to the roller coaster ride of emotions until the last word. I'm on my way out now to get another of your novels...they're addictive!
Rachael

I thought this novel was excellent. My mother read it and recommended it to me. I thought it was a wnderful book with emotion and real life situations. I would recommend it to anyone who loves books that they can't put down.
Anonymous

Dear Joy,
This is the first time I have read one of your books.It certainly won't be the last.The story flowed well & kept me enthralled.I found myself thoroughly caught up in it's characters,
particularly the last half of the book.I cried serveral times during some of the chapters,I also found it very humorous as well.
When I finished the book,I couldn't put it down I kept hugging it & whilst crying my eyes out,I kept thinking of how my own life could be improved.I know that it is a novel and meant to be read as such but many thanks for making me think more on how to get on with my life instead of waiting for it to be over.
carly

a very good book. i love joy as an author and i enjoyed this book as much as her others.
Anonymous

I was unfamiliar with Fielding's work, and picked up Missing Pieces at a secondhand store. I quite enjoyed her writing style, loved the easy dialogue, etc. Then I picked up the First Time anticipating a good read. Unfortunately, not he case. The storyline was maudlin, and the characters weren't very likable, and it was just very amateurish. I don't think I'll try another Fielding unless a freind recommends one.

• Book Jacket: Before We Sleep
    by Kate Moore

Win News of the World

The Weight of Ink
    by Rachel Kadish

An intellectual, suspenseful, and entertaining page-turner.

T's S I Numbers