What readers think of Creeker, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Oct 1999, 272 pages

Jul 2002, 272 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Creeker

Bev Crowe

I am a third generation Appalachian and I soulfully identified with Linda's writing. It was like music to my ears to hear someone put into words what my family has lived and felt for so many generations. "My people", the Reynolds clan, settled in Chestnut Gap, near what is now Booneville. I have only heard many of these traditions repeated to me by my mother and her family as a part of our history, but they seem so ingrained in our hearts, it's as if we had lived it first-hand. My parents made it seem important to remember and never forget where we came from as children. I remember seeing my grandmother make soap in the backyard next to the smokehouse full of hams or dressing chickens over a boiling kettle of water on a open fire outside the back porch. I loved Linda's way of telling our story as fellow Kentuckians and Appalachians. There were times when tears came to my eyes because it came so close to my heart in the people she spoke of. They sounded like so many in my own family tree. Thank you for this truly beautiful piece of literary work.

Elaine M
Although we have read many books over the past eight years, "Creeker" (1999) proved itself to be one of our favorites. I have read it twice myself and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a poignant, funny, and wise account of DeRosier’s coming of age in the rural south, her traveling the world as a woman and academic (Psychology professor), and never losing touch with the place from whence she came. At times we laughed until our sides ached, reminisced about our own escapades and favorite memories, and the value of where we’ve been over the years. Other times, we rediscovered lost moments from adolescence: the first kiss, the first love, and the first heartache. And, we explored family, career, being a woman, and personal choices and consequences. DeRosier is a born storyteller and a cultural historian for a time and place that seems to be fading away. In short, "Creeker" is an autobiographical narrative told by a woman who seems to have figured out how to balance a complicated life without losing those aspects that are fundamentally necessary to be who she is. Her personal account is uniquely hers, yet again and again it resonated in some way for those of us in the group. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Elaine M (NY, NY)

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Henry Henry
    Henry Henry
    by Allen Bratton
    Allen Bratton's Henry Henry chronicles a year in the life of Hal Lancaster. Readers already ...
  • Book Jacket: The Last Murder at the End of the World
    The Last Murder at the End of the World
    by Stuart Turton
    The island is the only safe place left on Earth. Since a deadly fog overtook the planet, the ...
    A Kind of Madness
    by Uche Okonkwo
    The word "madness," like many others that can be used to stigmatize mental illness — e.g., "...
  • Book Jacket: Long After We Are Gone
    Long After We Are Gone
    by Terah Shelton Harris
    Terah Shelton Harris's marvelous family drama Long After We Are Gone begins with the death of the ...

BookBrowse Book Club

The Pecan Children
by Quinn Connor
Look on the Bright Side
by Kristan Higgins
From the author of Pack Up the Moon comes a funny, romantic, and moving novel about life's unexpected rewards.
Win This Book
Win Bright and Tender Dark

Bright and Tender Dark by Joanna Pearson

A beautifully written, wire-taut debut novel about a murder on a college campus and its aftermath twenty years later.

A W in S C