MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The River King, plus links to write your own review.

The River King

Jul 2001, 352 pages

There are currently 15 reader reviews for The River King

Dominic

river king
I most often scan a book by the amount of conversation that it has. this book does not have a lot, but still moves right along. I really enjoyed it, and will read more of her stories.
Cindy E.

Gripping story
Alice Hoffman is one of my favorite author and this is my favorite of all her novels. It mixes up mystery, romance, and the underlying element of hazing. It keeps one's attention throughout, and will not disappoint.
ELLEN

Spellbinding. Hoffman is a master story teller. The River King establishes an atmosphere through Hoffman's fine detail of the Mass. town where the story takes place. She then interrelates two different plots that hold your attention through there twists and turns.
She masterfully intertwines mystery and romance.

I think this is the best book, I had read in a long time, it held my interest from start to finish. I am a mature female but believe this book would appeal to all age groups.
Gao Lue Vang

This book is amazing. I have never read anything as wonderful as this. This book is filled with so many feelings and I just couldn't put the book down.
Mary

Thank you again A.H. The River King took me somewhere else. Anyone who has enjoyed fairytales in their youth can recapture that certain something in Alice Hoffman's prose. Filled with mystery, magical atmosphere and interesting characters, The River king delivers.
Sarah

This book was really good. It portrayed the regular mystery plot, who dun it, but deep down it is a journey that three people, individually, go on inside themselves to find their real selves. It never gets boring and has new peices of the story at every turn of the page.
Nyx

The River King was haunting. I fell in love with the characters right from the start and practically cried in a crowded waiting room when I reached the end, that's how powerfully it hit me. I'd recommend this book especially to those who consider themselves to be misunderstood. Honestly, I sometimes wish I could live in Alice Hoffman's imagination.

• Book Jacket: The Mercies
    The Mercies
    by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
    It's 1617 and a violent storm has claimed the lives of 40 fishermen off the coast of Vardø, a ...
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...
  • Book Jacket: Run Me to Earth
    Run Me to Earth
    by Paul Yoon
    Suspenseful and elegant storytelling in Run Me to Earth kept me turning pages even through traumatic...
  • Book Jacket: Beheld
    Beheld
    by TaraShea Nesbit
    Much like her debut novel The Wives of Los Alamos, TaraShea Nesbit's Beheld imagines a familiar ...

The Mountains Sing
    by Nguyen Phan Que Mai

An enveloping, multigenerational tale set against the backdrop of the Viet Nam War.

The Yellow Bird Sings
    by Jennifer Rosner

A breathtaking debut inspired by the true stories of Jewish children hidden during WWII.

Resistance Women
by Jennifer Chiaverini

An enthralling saga, inspired by real events, that recreates the danger and sacrifice of the Weimar Republic.

Win The Firsts