MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Battle For God, plus links to write your own review.

The Battle For God

by Karen Armstrong

The Battle For God by Karen Armstrong X
The Battle For God by Karen Armstrong

Mar 2000, 448 pages
    Jan 2001, 448 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Battle For God

rachel

Armstrong brilliantly documents the rise of fundamentalism in Christianity, Islam, and Judiasm with clear and objective prose. I had fallen for the widely-held belief that fundamentalism was a throw-back to earlier belief systems. She refutes this concept and explains how fundamentalism is a direct response to modernity; at each stage of historical progression there is another backlash/response when fundamentalist ideology is fed by a fear of the unknown. Impressively researched, but above all, an easy lucid read.
Ethan "Strange"

Karen Armstrong's work is brilliant. In this work, she avoids many biased statements that would have been tempting for anyone with any beliefs at all. After some consideration, I found that most of the areas in which I felt she strayed from the objective facts we areas in which I had personal beliefs of my own interfering with a clear analysis of the work.

It is a good explanation, and influenced very little by anything but historical fact.

Two major sections: the first describes religious background based on historical, well-documented facts. The second describes in detail what fundamentalists have done and why.

The one factor that kept this book from a "5", was the underlying thought that i was "reading it for school," and now I have to write an 8 page report on it... otherwise, i would've loved it, and I think you will too if you care at all about such issues.

• Book Jacket: Children of the Land
    Children of the Land
    by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
    In this exquisitely crafted memoir, Marcelo Hernandez Castillo describes coming of age as a young ...
  • Book Jacket: A Good Neighborhood
    A Good Neighborhood
    by Therese Anne Fowler
    After fictionalized biographies of Zelda Fitzgerald (Z, 2013) and Alva Vanderbilt (A Well-Behaved ...
  • Book Jacket: Little Gods
    Little Gods
    by Meng Jin
    Little Gods, Meng Jin's intricate, emotionally intelligent debut, opens with a scene in which ...
  • Book Jacket: The Truants
    The Truants
    by Kate Weinberg
    The Truants opens with Jess Walker, a first-year university student in Norfolk, England, ...

Cartier's Hope
    by M. J. Rose

A Gilded Age gem of ambition & betrayal from the author of New York Times bestseller, Tiffany Blues.

Small Days and Nights
    by Tishani Doshi

A captivating and clear-eyed story of two sisters, set against the backdrop of modern India.

American Dirt
by Jeanine Cummins

"American Dirt is a Grapes of Wrath for our times."
—Don Winslow

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I