Reader reviews and comments on The Tipping Point, plus links to write your own review.

The Tipping Point

Dec 2001, 304 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Tipping Point

Dan C

Good Book
The book sets out to explain how certain events, both large and small, happen not necessarily by chance but by series of easily explainable smaller events that lead to a "Tipping Point." The tipping point can be defined as the moment in time where these events converge to form an apex thereby leading to massive shift and causing the issue, or cause, to spread like wildfire.
One of the strengths of the book is that Gladwell does not simply theorize on these events. Instead, he uses actual events, backed up by numerous case studies, interviews with professionals, and loads of data to present a compelling argument with which the reader has a hard time disagreeing with. Whether it is the case of Paul Revere spreading the word that the English were coming, the dramatic drop in crime in New York City in the 1990's, or something as trivial as children's programming stalwarts Sesame Street and Blues Clues, Gladwell finds a way to explain it with his theories.
Broken down into sections titled The Law of the Few, The Stickiness Factor, and The Power of Context, Gladwell easily glides you through the book introducing you to characters along the way labeled as Connectors, Mavens, and Salesman. We all know these types of people. He introduces you to theories that apply to everyday life such as the Broken Windows Theory and The Rule of 150. At their root these be applied to the successful navigation of every day life.
If Gladwell's purpose was to theoretically explain that the little things in life matter, he succeeded. If I gained anything at all from reading this book, its that we all play a purpose in this world, and no matter what we do, no matter how big or small, you just can never tell if it will be a step in the direction of a Tipping Point.
Joshua Lim

The tipping Point
An informative read, full of exciting examples.
Mark_Bledsoe

Excellent Read
Takes you through the process where by trends reach the critical factor
Ricky

Great book!
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell explains how different epidemics happen such as sicknesses, fashion trends, crime, rumors, and smoking. Gladwell also explains all the different things that go into making an epidemic happen such as word of mouth, context, and stickiness. Gladwell says, “In a world dominated by isolation and immunity, understanding these principles of word of mouth is more important than ever.”

Pros of The Tipping Point are that it is very well thought out and Gladwell explains epidemics in a very concise and entertaining way. He has compelling evidence to back up every one of his arguments. It is hard not to believe what he is saying. He also makes it easy to see how you can apply the concepts of epidemics into your personal and professional life.

The only con that I can think of for The Tipping Point is that it doesn’t address the role of the internet in epidemics. There is a page or two about it in the afterword but it’s not extremely helpful or insightful.

I think The Tipping Point is a must read for anyone who wants to make a lasting change in the world! It is great for any kind of leader, including parents. I would recommend it to anyone. It’s well worth your time.

• Book Jacket: Do Not Become Alarmed
    by Jeffrey Lent

Win News of the World

The Weight of Ink
    by Rachel Kadish

An intellectual, suspenseful, and entertaining page-turner.

T's S I Numbers