Reader reviews and comments on Plainsong, plus links to write your own review.

Plainsong

by Kent Haruf

Plainsong by Kent Haruf

Oct 1999, 301 pages
    Aug 2000, 320 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Plainsong

Taryn R.

It's life
Incredible book. I don't see why so many people are rating it "1" out of 5. Yes, there are graphic scenes, but that is life. People can't seem to handle the virtuosic novel and all of the facts it gives. It is so simply written that it makes you wonder how such a simple life can exist: but then you realize; you live it.
Noel J. O'Neill

A very smooth read....
In my travels I listen to many books on CD. Since I am in a couple's book club, I was really on the alert for a good conversational book that we all might enjoy. Finally after reading Plainsong, I knew this was the one I would pick. From my perspective, there isn't a wasted word in the story. This tale has all the themes that we all face, though in our urban complex lives, the issues aren't always so clear. Having grown up around Gregorian chant I can say I have a feel for the simple rhythm that this book generates. Well done by Haruf and I would recommend it to anyone with a desire for something a little deeper that speaks to the soul. A rich read!
Bronwyn Davis

I've been retired from teaching high school English for a few years now, but were I still teaching, I would seriously consider assigning Kent Haruf's "Plainsong" to my Junior and Senior classes. It has all of the elements of a true literary classic: memorable, well-drawn characters; vividly depicted setting; well-constructed plot; timeless themes; exceptional writing style. From reading the reviews posted here, it is obvious that more mature readers are better equipped to appreciate the subtleties of Haruf's skilfully crafted novel than are younger readers. However, I applaud the teachers who risked the all-too-predictable censure of unenlightened critics to expose their students to this wonderful work. Any student who makes an honest attempt to read this book will come away, as I am certain all readers do, uplifted by the acts of kindness, courage and generosity performed by the main characters. These more than compensate for the cruelty, small-mindedness, and selfishness of the lesser characters and leave the reader feeling that there is indeed hope for the human race.
Bianca

This was a great book to read!
Jeane

I was totally captivated by this book from the first page. Its simplicity and beauty lies in its tale about ordinary people doing ordinary things that have an impact on lives. Everyone I have lent the book to has also been delighted with it.
Ashley

I had to read this book for a college literature class. I must say that this book completely captured my attention from the first page until the very last. Haruf does a wonderful job of bringing each of his characters to life. I suggest you begin reading this book only when you have the time to finish it in one setting...I couldn't bear to put it down!
Jim Jones

I like the varity of this book in general, Its like a day time soap opera.
Luke Grove

Very Good! It were as if I were by the fireside listening to Kent Haruf tell the story himself. Good characters, focused writing, and a variation that kept one going from page to page.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: The Rules of Magic

by Alison McGhee

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F