We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of Beautyland, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Beautyland

Erin Lyndal Martin

There is 1 reader review for Beautyland

Gloria M

IMPRESSIVE!!!!
Because I am an avid reader (on average I finish 2.5 books every week) and I am addicted to print books, I refrain from purchasing every book I consume-instead I borrow them from the library or friends or family.   Only if I find that I absolutely love the book AND would want to read it again AND I want my children and their children to read it do I end up buying it (I do not have the budget to buy or the space to store every book I read).  Yes, I have an e-reader and yes, I occasionally use it and totally comprehend the cost savings, but print books soothe my soul!

So "Beautyland" by Marie-Helen Bertino satisfies all my requirements and it is on my list to acquire (thanks to the library for having it readily available and to BookBrowse for leading me to this title). It is just amazing.   It is the story of Adina Giorno who believes she was sent to Earth by her people (aliens) to report, via fax machine, on humans.

Is this true? Is she really an extraterrestrial or does she have some serious psychological issues?  You can decide for yourself.  I chose to hold both possibilities within my mind as I turned the pages - think, Schrodinger's cat.  This saga takes you from Adina's birth and through the many decades of her life.  You learn of her intelligence and empathy for the humans she is "studying" and you ache at her loneliness.  You grow to understand her mother, at first an unsympathetic character, but as she says to her daughter, "It's like when you wrote that all we ever ate for dinner was chicken.  Little girl, I made pasta every night. What other facts are you misremembering about your childhood?"

We watch her lifelong friendship with her best friend Toni and her second best friend Toni's brother Dominic.  There are many others in her life, most notably her beloved dog Butternut, her romantic relationship with Miguel and her nightly "visits" with her alien mentor, Solomon.

It is rare that a book makes me weep, this one does.  It is even more unusual for a work of fiction to make me cry AND laugh, but somehow Bertino does this with her engaging writing style.  I cannot wait to add it to my collection so I can refer back to it.  I will be thinking about this one for a long, long, long time.

Glassworks by Philip Glass

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    by Derek B. Miller
    Derek B. Miller's sixth novel, The Curse of Pietro Houdini, opens in the town of Cassino, Italy, in ...
  • Book Jacket: Our Moon
    Our Moon
    by Rebecca Boyle
    In Our Moon: How Earth's Celestial Companion Transformed the Planet, Guided Evolution, and Made Us ...
  • Book Jacket: Neighbors and Other Stories
    Neighbors and Other Stories
    by Diane Oliver
    The history of American segregation, along with changes to it in the 1960s, is sometimes taught and ...
  • Book Jacket: Wild and Distant Seas
    Wild and Distant Seas
    by Tara Karr Roberts
    Tara Karr Roberts is a newspaper columnist who also teaches English and journalism. Wild and Distant...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)