What readers think of The Measure of A Man, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Apr 2001, 272 pages

There are currently 9 reader reviews for The Measure of A Man

Randi Denyse Parker

The Messenger...
It all started with a Patch of Blue for me. I had seen that movie and instantly established Sidney's self acknowledgment in the 'gift of life.' Meaning, I knew and felt he was not a portrayer. I now translate The Measure Of A Man with nobility, excitement and immense distinction of not only Mr. Poitier himself, but myself as well. He is a very strong man, with a very rare way of living. I would simply love everyone to know... I have received his message... all of them, which empowers me to understand that accomplishing your dreams is much more fulfilling than dreaming them.
Devon Taylor

oh
This book was amazing. Not like any other. This book was read by me in November of 2008, and I refuse to read another book because this book has changed my opinion on books. I personally think that this is one of the best books I have ever read
Palesa Mpuru

Spiritually Uplifting
This book makes you think deep and be emotionally involved. You wonder how would your dad or father relate to you his past and future aspirations on being a better person with the help of your family, friends and your community. Great Inspiration. I Love the book!
william russell

still waters run deep
I am a long distance trucker that has listened to many, many, books of all description and this one read by the author is excellent. It is a shame that the liberal elite such as Mr.Poitier are such unapproachable people. I had performed several Google searches on the outside chance of the author having a web site so just a regular guy like myself could send him an e-mail and comment on this great autobiography. None were found. Whereas I do disagree on some of his takes on child raising overall this piece will surely get a person to think deeply about many important issues about life and our overall place in the universe(s). I would highly recommend the audio version because Mr. Poitier is the best reader to highlight and personalize the most important parts.
Donna Wilson

I read this book while on a trip in Aruba....It was very smooth enjoyable reading about the Measure of a Man to be admired and applauded for his determination to not just to be a success in films and stage but most of all in Life.
He freely admits his faults and owns up to his strengths, which extend from his upbringing, in a materialistic 'Poor' but morally 'Rich' Parents...Which he still continues to instill in himself and his own Children.
I have tried to live my own life and instill in my own Children, the same Philosophies which Mr. Piotier lives by, which is probably why I was able to relate so much to his book.
I would like to take this opportunity to Thank Mr. Piotier with all my heart for his contribution.
I plan to pass this book down to my own children in hopes that they too will gain some positive insight to life.
Thank You!!... Sidney Piotier!
Donna Wilson
EANGELINE HUNTER

I AM 24 YRS AND I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED SIDNEY POITIER. MY UNCLE HAD GOTTEN ME INTO HIM AND I NOW OWN 18 OF HIS MOVIES AND STILL GOING. I APPRECIATE HIS MORALS AND HIS EITHICS THAT HE DESCRIBES IN HIS BOOK. I NOW KNOW WHY I HAVE LOVED HIM AND LOOKED UP TO HIM FOR SO LONG. HE SHOWS HIS DTERMINATION AND HUNGER TO SUCCEED IN LIFE. HE WANTS TO SHOW PEOLE AND MOST OIF ALL HIMSELF THAT "NOTHING TRIED NOTHING DONE".
Bart Rulz

It wuz guold
Angela M.

Okay Okay...
Honestly, this book is okay. It is almost identical to his first autobiography. I read his first one for a project in school. It was interesting. But, this one wasn't as amazing as everyone says. If they read his first book, they'll see that this book isn't really anything special.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Last Bloodcarver
    The Last Bloodcarver
    by Vanessa Le
    The city-state of Theumas is a gleaming metropolis of advanced technology and innovation where the ...
  • Book Jacket: Say Hello to My Little Friend
    Say Hello to My Little Friend
    by Jennine CapĂł Crucet
    Twenty-year-old Ismael Reyes is making a living in Miami as an impersonator of the rapper/singer ...
  • Book Jacket: The Painter's Daughters
    The Painter's Daughters
    by Emily Howes
    Peggy and Molly Gainsborough are sisters and best friends, living an idyllic life in 18th-century ...
  • Book Jacket: Beverly Hills Spy
    Beverly Hills Spy
    by Ronald Drabkin
    When it comes to espionage, not only is truth stranger than fiction, sometimes it can be downright ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Half a Cup of Sand and Sky
by Nadine Bjursten
A poignant portrayal of a woman's quest for love and belonging amid political turmoil.

Members Recommend

The Stone Home
    by Crystal Hana Kim

A moving family drama and coming-of-age story revealing a dark corner of South Korean history.

The House on Biscayne Bay
    by Chanel Cleeton

As death stalks a gothic mansion in Miami, the lives of two women intertwine as the past and present collide.

I write to add to the beauty that now belongs to me

S B the B