We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of Land of Milk and Honey, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Land of Milk and Honey

Elisabeth Cook

There is 1 reader review for Land of Milk and Honey

Gloria M

Powerful Read!
Imagine you are 29 and the world has descended into chaos because of climate change. There is little food, scarce water, no hope for anyone except the wealthy and powerful. Definitely a likely scenario given the current scientific evidence. What if you were a chef, with no remaining family or friends, and your identity is in dire peril since your career is gone? What would you do and how much would you be willing to sacrifice to land the coveted position as culinary artist for an affluent businessman, his daughter and their exclusive rich guests?

C Pam Zhang's main character in "Land of Milk and Honey" faces just such a dilemma. Her life is bleak, and she lies about her qualifications on her resume and application. Though her employers know this, she still gets the position because she writes "I will faithfully perform any task within reason, and with dignity." Little does she know her offer of compliance will take her down a perilous path.

The language in this novel is beautiful, descriptive and sensuous. The details about the gorgeous compound and the ingredients available and the meals created are simply amazingly composed. The relationship that is a major focus of the narrative is intimate and powerful. Through flashbacks the past is revealed, explaining how she arrives at this point in her life. Compelling and relevant, it is a work that will linger in the mind of the reader for quite some time. That said, it is difficult to actually like any of the people in this book. From the poor who make impossible deals just to try and survive to the uber rich who only want to flourish at any costs, no one wants to do the right thing until they are forced into a corner. Still, it is an absolute must read!

Jian Bing

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    by Derek B. Miller
    Derek B. Miller's sixth novel, The Curse of Pietro Houdini, opens in the town of Cassino, Italy, in ...
  • Book Jacket: Our Moon
    Our Moon
    by Rebecca Boyle
    In Our Moon: How Earth's Celestial Companion Transformed the Planet, Guided Evolution, and Made Us ...
  • Book Jacket: Neighbors and Other Stories
    Neighbors and Other Stories
    by Diane Oliver
    The history of American segregation, along with changes to it in the 1960s, is sometimes taught and ...
  • Book Jacket: Wild and Distant Seas
    Wild and Distant Seas
    by Tara Karr Roberts
    Tara Karr Roberts is a newspaper columnist who also teaches English and journalism. Wild and Distant...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)