Reader reviews and comments on Havana Bay, plus links to write your own review.

Havana Bay

by Martin Cruz Smith

Havana Bay

May 1999, 329 pages
    Apr 2001, 352 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Havana Bay

d.a.shultz (10/15/11)

Review of Martin Cruz Smith's works and Reviews
Smith is incredibly underestimated. He never writes a commonplace sentence; his descriptions and settings and phrases as choreographed as Astaire and Rogers. Nothing mawkish, nothing dull, nothing out of place - each character original, as real as my neighbors, and far more interesting.

Where so many of today's writers use the same format book after book changing names and places, with, sadly, inevitable touches of sadism, Smith's books are original and enjoyable, and Renko is a terrific protagonist.
ish (09/04/03)

The book is very interesting. I like the plot because it's full of mystery and every incident is really scary.
Also, I get to learn the language in Cuba.Sounds interesting.
Anyway, it would be better if the book has a glossary at the back for the meanings of the Cuban words.
Thank you and more power to all!
Stephen Pendergast (08/05/03)

I really liked this book. I thought the evocation of modern Cuba as seen by a Russian visitor very effective. Descriptions of the people, scenery, and occupations of the people made one feel right there. Arkady Renko is a very sypathetic protagonist with buldog tenacity and realistic flaws. Ofelia the PNR investigator makes a good pairing.

• Book Jacket: Commonwealth

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review