What readers think of Vinegar Hill, plus links to write your own review.

Vinegar Hill

by A Manette Ansay

Vinegar Hill by A Manette Ansay X
Vinegar Hill by A Manette Ansay

Nov 1999, 240 pages

Nov 1999, 240 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Vinegar Hill

book worm

Vinegar Hill is one of those books you can't put down! You just have to read it!
godess0161

This was one of the most intense stories of a homemaker tring to find herself and dealing with the "in-laws". I found this book to be very enjoable and hope everyone gets a chance to read it sometime.
D. Fisher

By far, my favorite book of all time. A. Manette Ansay pulls you in with her ability to take you through and back through time. She avoids the laborious over-description of the characters and their surroundings. Involvement this story comes from feeling rather than visualizing.

Her characters are refreshingly flawed yet the author provides enough insight so you wind up understanding rather than judging even the worst of them.

She has an amazing way of recounting past and present by seamlessly integrating dialog with the thoughts and memories that allow the story to progress in a way that kept me hooked.

My only complaint is that now I can't find a book I like as much as Vinegar Hill. I guess I'll have to wait for her next book!

Comment from BookBrowse : If you haven't already read it, you'll probably enjoy Ansay's biography 'Limbo' which was published in 2001.

Sarah

A great book. I couldn't put it down. You know you have a good book when the trials of the protagonist are so painful that it gets difficult to keep turning the pages and read more, and yet unable to put them down because you need resolve as much as the character does. Another magnificent thing about this book.... it doesn't make any bad guys. There is no evil mother-in-law, inhuman husband, stupid teenager... only real people, who are imperfect. We see through everyone's shoes, and I applaud a writer that recognizes everyone's personality became that way for a reason, and 'bad guys' are rare, while misunderstandings, issues, and secret pains are every day.
Dj

Vinegar Hill
I read alot of books. This was boring and very distrubing. Yes you will want to keep reading in hopes it gets better. The ending is boring and disappointing.
salty fries

one word. baaaaaaaaaaaaaam!

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

Lightning Strike
    by William Kent Krueger
    It is the summer of 1963 in Tamarack County, Minnesota. Just outside the small town of Aurora, ...
  • Book Jacket: Bitch
    Bitch
    by Lucy Cooke
    In middle school biology class, many of us were told that men hunt and women nest, that testosterone...
  • Book Jacket: Jackie & Me
    Jackie & Me
    by Louis Bayard
    Louis Bayard's Jackie & Me offers a fictionalized version of the early relationship between John F. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Facemaker
    The Facemaker
    by Lindsey Fitzharris
    The summer of 1914 saw the beginning of World War I, the bloody conflict known as the 'war to end ...

Members Recommend

Dirt Creek
    by Hayley Scrivenor

"A heart-wrenching mystery, Scrivenor's remarkable sense of place brings Dirt Creek to life. A stellar debut."
    —Jane Harper,

Widowland
    by C. J. Carey

A thrilling feminist dystopian novel set in an alternate 1950s Britain under the control of the Third Reich.

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

I Wishes W H B W R