What readers think of Vinegar Hill, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Nov 1999, 240 pages

Nov 1999, 240 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Vinegar Hill

book worm

Vinegar Hill is one of those books you can't put down! You just have to read it!
godess0161

This was one of the most intense stories of a homemaker tring to find herself and dealing with the "in-laws". I found this book to be very enjoable and hope everyone gets a chance to read it sometime.
D. Fisher

By far, my favorite book of all time. A. Manette Ansay pulls you in with her ability to take you through and back through time. She avoids the laborious over-description of the characters and their surroundings. Involvement this story comes from feeling rather than visualizing.

Her characters are refreshingly flawed yet the author provides enough insight so you wind up understanding rather than judging even the worst of them.

She has an amazing way of recounting past and present by seamlessly integrating dialog with the thoughts and memories that allow the story to progress in a way that kept me hooked.

My only complaint is that now I can't find a book I like as much as Vinegar Hill. I guess I'll have to wait for her next book!

Comment from BookBrowse : If you haven't already read it, you'll probably enjoy Ansay's biography 'Limbo' which was published in 2001.

Sarah

A great book. I couldn't put it down. You know you have a good book when the trials of the protagonist are so painful that it gets difficult to keep turning the pages and read more, and yet unable to put them down because you need resolve as much as the character does. Another magnificent thing about this book.... it doesn't make any bad guys. There is no evil mother-in-law, inhuman husband, stupid teenager... only real people, who are imperfect. We see through everyone's shoes, and I applaud a writer that recognizes everyone's personality became that way for a reason, and 'bad guys' are rare, while misunderstandings, issues, and secret pains are every day.
Dj

Vinegar Hill
I read alot of books. This was boring and very distrubing. Yes you will want to keep reading in hopes it gets better. The ending is boring and disappointing.
salty fries

one word. baaaaaaaaaaaaaam!

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Real Americans
    Real Americans
    by Rachel Khong
    Rachel Khong's sophomore novel Real Americans is an intergenerational saga that questions racial and...
  • Book Jacket: A Short Walk Through a Wide World
    A Short Walk Through a Wide World
    by Douglas Westerbeke
    From the very first page of A Short Walk Through a Wide World, debut novelist (and librarian!) ...
  • Book Jacket: The Swans of Harlem
    The Swans of Harlem
    by Karen Valby
    Journalist Karen Valby's first book, The Swans of Harlem, introduces readers to the little-known ...
  • Book Jacket: The Sicilian Inheritance
    The Sicilian Inheritance
    by Jo Piazza
    Sara Marsala is going through a rough patch, to say the least. In the process of divorcing from her ...

BookBrowse Book Club

The Familiar
by Leigh Bardugo
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author Leigh Bardugo comes a spellbinding novel set in the Spanish Golden Age.

Members Recommend

This Strange Eventful History
    by Claire Messud

An immersive, masterful story of a family born on the wrong side of history.

The thing that cowardice fears most is decision

R is a D B S C