What readers think of Daughter of Fortune, plus links to write your own review.

Daughter of Fortune

by Isabel Allende

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende X
Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

Oct 1999, 416 pages

Sep 2000, 400 pages

There are currently 21 reader reviews for Daughter of Fortune

Loni

This is a wonderful book!
Rosa

An enchanted book. Very easy to read and understand. It's a wonderful story about love, freedom and hope. I definitely recomend it and I will read it again.
Un libro encantador, con una lectura facil de entender y unas historias maravillosamente narradas llenas de pasion, poesia, y esperanza. Definitivamente lo recomiendo y por supuesto lo volveria a leer.
Stephanie Parmiter

Excellent book. Couldn't put it down.
faith martens

Most enjoyable read
The book was a page turner for me. Always wondering what is going to happen next. Thought provoking about the relationship of love. Love can be felt in so many ways and nature love runs deep. I recommend this book.
Barbara

Daughter of Fortune
I really enjoyed Isabel Allende's "Daughter of Fortune." The plot is easily predictable, with Allende giving plenty of clues as to how the story will develop, even after the last page. But the intrigue wasn't in the story line, as much as it was in the wonderful descriptions of the characters' lives. The similar beginnings of Tao's and Eliza's lives, how their societies shaped their motivation, and their experiences as outsiders in a land full of outsiders was fascinating.
miburo

Well, I didn't like this book as much as my other novel, memoirs of a geisha. However, the details of the character's background, especially Tao Chi'en's, is really well prepared. A good read, even though the ending could be improved.
Margaret

This was a pretty good book. I usually just read a book to read it, but I couldn't do that for this one. I actually had to READ it. And it did go slowly in the begining, but I still felt compelled to finish, even if it was for school. It wasn't about all the glory about being a feminist in a male society. The character was very real. I finished reading the book much more satisfied then I was when I began. I may even read it again. Each character has a story of its own, and even though the plots are somewhat basic, theyare interwovenwithwounderful detial and feeling that make the book what it is.
Theresa

When I started this book, I was questioning whether or not I would finsih it. I usually like books that keep you "hooked" from the beginning. But after reading it for awhile, I felt that I needed to finsih it. I've got to say though -I just finsihed the book and I'm unable to get the characters and the story out of my head. It was amazing that the author wrote such intricate stories involving each person involved in the book. I felt like, not only did I get to truly know Eliza, but got to know each and every other character inside and out. This book made me feel like I was on the adventure with Eliza. It also was so real to every day life -meaning sometimes you think you truly want something, only to find that the quest to find that something leads you to what you were truly meant to have. Great story. Look forward to reading other works by this author.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Liberty Equality Fashion
    Liberty Equality Fashion
    by Anne Higonnet
    With the title Liberty Equality Fashion, it may seem like Anne Higonnet's new book is an unserious ...
  • Book Jacket: Real Americans
    Real Americans
    by Rachel Khong
    Rachel Khong's sophomore novel Real Americans is an intergenerational saga that questions racial and...
  • Book Jacket: A Short Walk Through a Wide World
    A Short Walk Through a Wide World
    by Douglas Westerbeke
    From the very first page of A Short Walk Through a Wide World, debut novelist (and librarian!) ...
  • Book Jacket: The Swans of Harlem
    The Swans of Harlem
    by Karen Valby
    Journalist Karen Valby's first book, The Swans of Harlem, introduces readers to the little-known ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Romantic Comedy
by Curtis Sittenfeld
A comedy writer's stance on love shifts when a pop star challenges her assumptions in this witty and touching novel.

Members Recommend

This Strange Eventful History
    by Claire Messud

An immersive, masterful story of a family born on the wrong side of history.

Win This Book
Win Only the Brave

Only the Brave by Danielle Steel

A powerful, sweeping historical novel about a courageous woman in World War II Germany.

R is a D B S C