What readers think of Honor, plus links to write your own review.

Honor

Oct 2022, 352 pages

There are currently 50 reader reviews for Honor

CarolT

Eye-opening
Honor taught me so much about India that I don't know where to begin. Hard to put down. I'll be watching for more from Thrity Umrigar.
Nancy

Women in India
I thoroughly enjoyed this book because it addressed women's issues that I was unaware of in India. The plot was good and the characters were believable. I got caught up in this book and couldn’t put it down.
Bonnie Brody

Kept Me Riveted
I liked this book very much and was riveted from the beginning. The cross-cultural aspects of the novel were interesting and eye-opening. I appreciated the different perspectives and hoped for a good outcome. At times, I was close to tears, realizing the horrors that one person could endure. The difficulty of marrying outside one's religion in India was explored, along with the tragedy that ensued should this occur. Honor was so good that I immediately ordered another novel by Ms. Umrigar.
GJM

This Author Doesn’t Disappoint
The author was inspired by an event that her father witnessed in India. She researched it thoroughly, that’s very evident, and tells a story that enfolds beautifully. I was most intrigued by the observation of the Indian American journalist toward the end of the story : how journalism gives the voiceless a voice and creates empathy in readers, but to what end? Doesn’t the world sometimes “remain as sad and brutal a place as ever?”
The conflict Stima felt and the compassion she grew to have for Meena and Abru was very well developed. The horror of honor killings was so vivid. It’s a great read.
Nancy Emery

Honor
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was rich in Indian history and culture. The characters were well portrayed and plot kept me reading. If you like this book consider reading A Fine Balance by R. Mistry.
wincheryl

Listening to this book added so much
I throughly enjoyed this book. Listening to it, read by an Indian woman added so much. Conflict between Hindi and Muslim people was so prevalent. I was in shock at the atrocities done by men against women. A highly recommended book by me.
Tired Bookreader

Life can be unexplainable
This author has been on the 'to read' list for some time. After finally reading this book, the other books have moved up on the reading list.

This book addresses an age-old problem of the hierarchy set by communities, religion, and the more dominant sex and how that hierarchy is maintained. Even in modern times, education plays such an important role. Keeping people ignorant and afraid is the key to also keeping them enslaved and maltreated. The world never seems to change.

People's hopes, dreams, loves continue even during diversity and pain...they persevere.
Cheryl

So many things I did not know about India
Terrific book. The story is set in India. Smeetha is a reporter and goes to India to help her friend who is having surgery. Her family moved from India to the United States when she was 14. This story relates all the Indian beliefs, customs, Hindi and Muslim conflict and horrible treatment of women. Smeetha takes a journey of awakenings and self discovery.

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

Yonder
    by Jabari Asim
    The captivating historical novel Yonder turns an intimate lens towards the tragedy and survivorship ...
  • Book Jacket: After Sappho
    After Sappho
    by Selby Wynn Schwartz

"Someone will remember us, I say, even in another time."
    —Sappho, fragment ...

• Book Jacket: City Under One Roof
    City Under One Roof
    by Iris Yamashita
    When a disembodied arm and leg wash ashore in Point Mettier, Alaska, most residents assume they ...
  • Book Jacket: We Deserve Monuments
    We Deserve Monuments
    by Jas Hammonds
    Jas Hammonds' debut young adult novel We Deserve Monuments provides a fresh look at the coming-of-...

The Mitford Affair
by Marie Benedict
An explosive novel of history's most notorious sisters, one of whom will have to choose: her country or her family?

Members Recommend

Wade in the Water
    by Nyani Nkrumah

A gripping debut novel of female power and vulnerability, race, and class set in a small Mississippi town in the early 1980s.

This Other Eden
    by Paul Harding

A novel inspired by the true story of Malaga Island from the Pulitzer Prize–winning author of Tinkers.

The Nazi Conspiracy
    by Brad Meltzer & Josh Mensch

From two bestselling authors, the true story of the plot to kill Roosevelt, Stalin, and Churchill.

C To T Q

Polite conversation is rarely either.