What readers think of Beautiful Little Fools, plus links to write your own review.

Beautiful Little Fools

Jordan Lynch

There is 1 reader review for Beautiful Little Fools

Phyllis Evans

Amazing historical/fiction page-turner!
Thanks to the Book Club Cookbook Galley Match program & Harper Perennial for an advance reader's copy. All comments and opinions are my own.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I heard about the concept: The Great Gatsby is reimagined and told from the points of view of Daisy Buchanan and two other women from the classic novel. But I was blown away by this amazing historical fiction/mystery and can't stop thinking about the clever premise and how well author Jillian Cantor told the stories of these women. She incorporates the action and characters from F. Scott Fitzgerald's well-known story, but in this version the women are cast sympathetically, with much more description of their lives. They are portrayed as likeable, independent, intelligent, and strong, within the constraints of the 1920's. Additionally, Cantor successfully captures the style and tone of the 1925 novel with vivid cultural details: the cars, the clothes, the drinks, the jewelry, and the lifestyles.

Just a short summary of the plot from the book jacket: "On a sultry August day in 1922, Jay Gatsby is shot dead in his West Egg swimming pool. To the police, it appears to be an open-and-shut case of murder/suicide when the body of George Wilson, a local mechanic, is found in the woods nearby. Then a diamond hairpin is discovered in the bushes by the pool, and three women fall under suspicion. Each holds a key that can unlock the truth to the mysterious life and death of this enigmatic millionaire.

"Their stories unfold in the years leading up to that fateful summer of 1922, when all three of their lives are on the brink of unraveling. Each woman is pulled deeper into Jay Gatsby’s romantic obsession, with devastating consequences for all of them."

Cantor says this can be read as a companion to The Great Gatsby, or on its own as I'm sure most people will read it. I had read Gatsby years ago in an English Lit university course, so I reread it last November, knowing I would read Fools in January. With the original fresh in my mind I was amazed at how this novel fit so well with Gatsby, almost like a jigsaw puzzle with all the pieces making the story complete. Most of the women in my book group hadn't read Gatsby recently, and they felt the novel was totally readable as a standalone.

I highly recommend this fascinating novel, which Cantor describes as "an exploration of the interior lives of women, their struggles, their triumphs, and most of all, their secrets."

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Return of Faraz Ali
    The Return of Faraz Ali
    by Aamina Ahmad
    In Aamina Ahmad's debut, The Return of Faraz Ali, the eponymous character is a police inspector in ...
  • Book Jacket: The Wonders
    The Wonders
    by Elena Medel
    Spanish poet Elena Medel's debut novel The Wonders (translated by Lizzie Davis and Thomas Bunstead) ...
  • Book Jacket: Four Treasures of the Sky
    Four Treasures of the Sky
    by Jenny Tinghui Zhang
    '…when our Chinese customers come asking for millet and green onions, buying licorice and ...
  • Book Jacket: Hotel Magnifique
    Hotel Magnifique
    by Emily J. Taylor
    A golden ticket or a gilded cage? Seventeen-year-old Jani and her younger sister Zosa are not sure ...

Shadows of Berlin
by David R. Gillham
A captivating novel of a Berlin girl on the run from the guilt of her past and the boy from Brooklyn who loves her.

Fly Girl
    by Ann Hood

"Sheer pleasure. A hilarious and often moving look back at...a young woman's coming of age."
    —Dennis Lehane

The Immortal King Rao
    by Vauhini Vara

A resonant debut novel obliterating the boundaries between literary and speculative fiction, the historic and the dystopian.

Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you'd rather have been talking

I A J's W D, It's W D W