Reader reviews and comments on By The Light of My Father's Smile, plus links to write your own review.

By The Light of My Father's Smile

by Alice Walker

By The Light of My Father's Smile by Alice Walker X
By The Light of My Father's Smile by Alice Walker

Oct 1998, 222 pages
    Aug 1999, 222 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for By The Light of My Father's Smile

Hannah

I think that this book was the best book I have ever read. I would like to read more like it
J.L.B.F.

I think that this book is an excellent book except for the fact that it is available to middle school children, such as my son. But, other than that I like the fact that it gives you a feel of how those people were really feeling and why they felt this way and I think it give very good insight on family relationships and interactions with communities around the world.
Shirley A. Mason

Excellent Book! I enjoyed reading it. I love all of Alice
Walker's books. Job well done!!
Ashley Jones

I think By the Light of my Father's Smile was a great book. When I read it I felt as if I was watching along with the angels in the story. HAving others watching and telling what they saw was different. The narrator is usually the person having the experiences, but Alice Wlaker incorporated everyone. I enjoyed how they shared more than one character's life story at a time. You knew what was going on with everyone. I think the the touch of sexuality made it quite interesting. It was not too much to be vulgar but enough to let you know that book was real. Alice Walker is a great writer! I really enjoyed this book.
F.A.O.

An amazing novel that deals with spirituality. The characters deal with the consequences of past choices and their knowledge of religion and what lies beyond death is challenged. Choices about sexuality are explored as the characters continue their existence.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...
  • Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...
  • Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

The Shadow King
by Maaza Mengiste

An unforgettable epic shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize, and named a best book of the year by the New York Times.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C