What readers think of A Million Things, plus links to write your own review.

A Million Things

Aug 2021, 304 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for A Million Things

Gabi

Friendship Across The Ages
For readers who loved “The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett” - here is another exceptional book about a very special and heartwarming friendship, forged by tough life circumstances, between a young girl and her elderly neighbor. I loved it - but needed a few extra tissues on hand.
Lena, Lund, Sweden

Such a great debut
This is such a great and moving story told with so much empathy. The way Emily Spurr describes Ray, her loss and her loneliness and how Rae tries to handle her situation, the love of her dog Splinter and the growing friendship with Lettie, the grumpy old lady next door and how it becomes a total life change for both of them… it is all overwhelming and has to be read! The end I will not mention. It is a great book!
Marissa Panigrosso

Awesome
Wonderful book on the order of Where the Crawdad Sings. The characters are so well developed and quirky. The book keeps pulling you in and never wanting it to end.
Cherryl V. (San Francisco, CA)

Lovely read
A captivating read that's hard to put down, this book is one of my favorite new releases in 2021. It reframes the notion of family and what it means to belong and find your place in the world. Really timely and thought-provoking.
DeAnn A. (Denver, CO)

Emotional Debut Story
This book really snuck up on me and then proceeded to rip my heart out. It has been a while since I had to stop reading because of the tears pouring down my face.

Rae is a precocious ten-year-old and loves her trusty dog Splinter. Her nosy older neighbor Lettie cries out for help one day. Soon this unlikely pair are spending more time together as they both deal with secrets and loneliness. These characters are so memorable! This debut made me ponder how we define family and how we best help people with mental illness.
Ann B. (Kernville, CA)

tugs at the heartstrings
I devoured this debut novel by Australian author Emily Spurr. Remarkable for its theme, its characters, and its humanity, the book is written from the second-person point of view, the 'you' directed at the narrator's mother. I won't soon forget narrator Rae, her neighbor Lettie, or her sweet beast of a dog Splinters. But the nameless mother is also an interesting character, more so because she develops in the literary equivalent of negative space.
Karen B. (Crestwood, KY)

Heartfelt, emotional debut
Secrets and sadness, loss and connection, resilience and revelations -- just a few of the many things that Emily Spurr writes of so eloquently and authentically in A Million Things. She explores grief and loneliness without melodrama, leaving room for hope and happiness. Highly recommended.
Danielle M. (East Greenwich, RI)

A Heartbreakingly Beautiful Debut
This book! It will break your heart and put it back together again. Rae is a character you won't soon forget and this story of loss and resilience is a triumph. I'm sure this will end up one of my best of 2021 books and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Sleeping Beauty (Briar Rose)

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Yonder
    Yonder
    by Jabari Asim
    The captivating historical novel Yonder turns an intimate lens towards the tragedy and survivorship ...
  • Book Jacket: Churchill's Shadow
    Churchill's Shadow
    by Geoffrey Wheatcroft
    Another book about Winston Churchill? Even with the astronomical number of titles written about the ...
  • Book Jacket: 1000 Years of Joys and Sorrows
    1000 Years of Joys and Sorrows
    by Ai Weiwei
    Ai Weiwei is such an influential and innovative artist and activist that a memoir focused purely on ...
  • Book Jacket: Honor
    Honor
    by Thrity Umrigar
    First Impressions readers enjoyed being transported to India via Thrity Umrigar's novel Honor, with ...

My Broken Language
by Quiara Alegría Hudes
A Pulitzer Prize–winning playwright tells her lyrical coming of age story in a sprawling Puerto Rican family.

Free
    by Lea Ypi

"Nothing short of a masterpiece."
    Publishers Weekly

The Paris Bookseller
    by Kerri Maher

How a humble bookseller fought incredible odds to bring one of the 20th century's most important books to the world.

The longest journey of any person is the journey inward

A P O B Y Houses