What readers think of The Plot, plus links to write your own review.

The Plot

Peggy Kurkowski

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Plot

Sue B

What a plot it is!
Great read, twists all thru the story and the story within the story. Truly was a book I couldn’t put down. Excellent writing keep the flow going the entire time.
Kate G

Are there any new plots to be written?
My disclaimer: I have met Jean Hanff Korelitz many times and have attended many of her Pop-up book groups in NYC through her venture, Book the Writer.
I received an ARC of The Plot for Celadon and I was thrilled. I am not a thriller person in general, but The Plot hooked me from the beginning. I felt it was a slow burn. It starts at a bottom of the barrel MFA program, where Jacob Bonner Finch has arrived to teach fiction to his low residency students. After learning of an incredible plot his student is going to write about, Jake is even more depressed as his career is inert at the moment. Randomly, Jake learns of the student's death and having few if any moral scruples, appropriates The Plot. Korelitz's deft writing keeps you turning the pages as Jake becomes the novelist and gets his amazing career. But is Jake destined for happily ever after or does someone realize The Plot might not be his creation?
Abdul Salam Rain

The Plot
It's very good book.
Techeditor

Boring, boring, boring
If you are a writer or work in the publishing industry, THE PLOT is for you. As far as I can tell, though, this book is not for anyone else. It bored me. I am sure it will bore most people, maybe even writers and those who work in the publishing industry.

Jake has written a highly successful novel that he based on a plot written by one of his students. The student is now dead, and Jake has rewritten the story. Jake did not really steal it from anyone, but he feels that he did. So does someone else who is badgering him online about it. Who is this? That’s what Jake sets out to learn.

I read several good reviews of this book before I decided to read it. I feel cheated. Although most reviews warn that the book has a slow beginning, they also assure the reader that it gets suspenseful, thrilling. Believe me when I tell you that, yes, THE PLOT does have a slow beginning; BUT it continues to drag right up to page 300.

If you can delay your gratification that long, go for it. I don’t know any people who can do that. No one should have to.

Even after page 300, you’re bound to be disappointed. The whole mystery is solved in the end, and I could see it coming long before I got that far.

Creative Writing MFA Programs

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: All That She Carried
    All That She Carried
    by Tiya Miles
    For Rose of Charleston, South Carolina, it was an ordinary day until it wasn't. When it turned out ...
    Migrations
    by Charlotte McConaghy
    Migrations, Australian author Charlotte McConaghy's literary fiction debut, earned a notably high ...
  • Book Jacket: The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    by Kristin Harmel
    Kristin Harmel's historical novel The Forest of Vanishing Stars was very well-received by our First ...
  • Book Jacket: African Europeans
    African Europeans
    by Olivette Otele
    The nexus of Africans and Europeans is not a recent historical development. Rather, the peoples of ...

All the Little Hopes
by Leah Weiss
A Southern story of friendship forged by books and bees, in the murky shadows of World War II.

The Sunset Route
    by Carrot Quinn

A beautiful memoir about forgiveness, self-discovery, and the redemptive power of nature.

Win This Book!
Win The Debt Trap

The Debt Trap
by Josh Mitchell

"A meticulous, eye-opening history of the US student debt crisis."
—Publishers Weekly