What readers think of The Plot, plus links to write your own review.

The Plot

Peggy Kurkowski

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Plot

Sue B

What a plot it is!
Great read, twists all thru the story and the story within the story. Truly was a book I couldn’t put down. Excellent writing keep the flow going the entire time.
Kate G

Are there any new plots to be written?
My disclaimer: I have met Jean Hanff Korelitz many times and have attended many of her Pop-up book groups in NYC through her venture, Book the Writer.
I received an ARC of The Plot for Celadon and I was thrilled. I am not a thriller person in general, but The Plot hooked me from the beginning. I felt it was a slow burn. It starts at a bottom of the barrel MFA program, where Jacob Bonner Finch has arrived to teach fiction to his low residency students. After learning of an incredible plot his student is going to write about, Jake is even more depressed as his career is inert at the moment. Randomly, Jake learns of the student's death and having few if any moral scruples, appropriates The Plot. Korelitz's deft writing keeps you turning the pages as Jake becomes the novelist and gets his amazing career. But is Jake destined for happily ever after or does someone realize The Plot might not be his creation?
Abdul Salam Rain

The Plot
It's very good book.
Techeditor

Boring, boring, boring
If you are a writer or work in the publishing industry, THE PLOT is for you. As far as I can tell, though, this book is not for anyone else. It bored me. I am sure it will bore most people, maybe even writers and those who work in the publishing industry.

Jake has written a highly successful novel that he based on a plot written by one of his students. The student is now dead, and Jake has rewritten the story. Jake did not really steal it from anyone, but he feels that he did. So does someone else who is badgering him online about it. Who is this? That’s what Jake sets out to learn.

I read several good reviews of this book before I decided to read it. I feel cheated. Although most reviews warn that the book has a slow beginning, they also assure the reader that it gets suspenseful, thrilling. Believe me when I tell you that, yes, THE PLOT does have a slow beginning; BUT it continues to drag right up to page 300.

If you can delay your gratification that long, go for it. I don’t know any people who can do that. No one should have to.

Even after page 300, you’re bound to be disappointed. The whole mystery is solved in the end, and I could see it coming long before I got that far.

Creative Writing MFA Programs

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    by Dawnie Walton
    Within the general arc of many well-established and chronicled historical events is oral history's ...
  • Book Jacket: Monkey Boy
    Monkey Boy
    by Francisco Goldman
    Francisco Goldman's Monkey Boy exists in the liminal space between memoir and fiction. Like Goldman ...
  • Book Jacket: The Girl in His Shadow
    The Girl in His Shadow
    by Audrey Blake
    The Girl in His Shadow by Audrey Blake is a fast-paced historical novel set in Victorian-era England...
  • Book Jacket: Whereabouts
    Whereabouts
    by Jhumpa Lahiri
    Jhumpa Lahiri's Whereabouts has seen numerous comparisons to Second Place by Rachel Cusk. These two ...

Ariadne
by Jennifer Saint
A mesmerizing debut novel about Ariadne, Princess of Crete for fans of Madeline Miller's Circe.

Morningside Heights
    by Joshua Henkin

A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Finishing second in the Olympics gets you silver. Finishing second in politics gets you oblivion.

H I T Best P