What readers think of The Kindest Lie, plus links to write your own review.

by Nancy Johnson

Valerie Morales

There are currently 7 reader reviews for The Kindest Lie

Rblake

Kindest lie
I enjoyed the book. I could relate to many of the characters and it certainly applied to the events of today. Would love to see more from author. I particularly liked the author's inclusion of the character, Midnight. It gave the novel another level of authenticity and appeal.
Milagros Vargas Neu

The Kindest Lie
This book was awesome with vivid details dealing with all sorts of life issues! The prose was breathtaking taking you to where the writer was to take you. Please write another book I would buy it immediately!
CP

The Kindest Lie
It's been awhile since I read a book I wanted to finish. Thank you BookBrowse for sending it along. I was drawn in by just the writing. This book flowed for me. It was hard to put it down and I wanted more.The characters were well developed and I loved Ruth. Kindest Lie had everything I looked for in a novel.First, a character I could like and root for, I felt all her pain, joy and acceptance, This is what I would call a "meaty" book. An easy read, but so much more. In fact, I liked it so much, I picked it for my March book group.
Linda Zagon

Lies and Love
Nancy Johnson, the author of “The Kindest Lie” has written a memorable and thought-provoking novel. The genres for this novel are Political Fiction, Domestic Family Fiction, Black and African American Women’s Fiction with a touch of Historical Fiction. The timeline for this story is 2008 when Barack Obama was elected president. His election as president was a promise of hope for equality for Black Americans. The author describes her characters as complex and complicated. There are dysfunctional family relationships. One of the most significant questions that this novel raises is does love allow for a kind lie? Another concern is that can one forget and forgive the actions of the past? I was gifted this book from BookBrowse books and William Morrow for an honest review.

This novel shows the contrast between classes, conflict and prejudice, racism, betrayals, and deep secrets. The author discusses the importance of family, a mother’s love, coming of age, honesty, equality, and hope.

The protagonist of the story, Ruth, is extremely well educated, married, and economically comfortable. Her husband would like to start a family. Ruth has secrets from her past that can cause a serious problem for her relationship. Ruth returns to her hometown, where there is poverty, frustration, and realizes that Black and White people are not treated fairly or equally. Ruth is determined to face her past and all the secrets. As she explores, she realizes that her family is much more involved than it appears, and she is on a personal quest to deal with the past so that she can move on to the future.

I would highly recommend this amazing book to other readers.
Dotty Sharp

The Kindest Lie
I loved this book! It had everything you’d want in a book, great characters, interesting subjects, important topics, suspense and joy.
I highly recommend this wonderful book and I hope we’ll see many more books from this author.
Milagros Vargas Neu

Kindest Lie
What an extraordinary writer! The plot is truly believable it hits to the bottom of your soul. I hope that the author writes another book! I will surly buy it immediately. I plan to forever keep this book on my bookshelf as a true keeper. Thank You for a great read!
Janet Praxel

race, class, secrets, family
This was an intriguing read that kept me involved from page 1. It is a family story dealing with Ruth, a woman who made it out of small town America and is living the "American Dream" with her husband Xavier. But Ruth has a secret that is alluded to early in the book. For reasons from her past, she avoids discussions of a future with children and leaves Xavier completely in the dark regarding her lack of interest in family. Her secret eats away at her and she eventually goes back to her childhood house and family to try to make things right. The struggle to right wrongs from one's past is probably a theme that we all deal with in one way or another. But Ruth's secret is huge and how she handles it has the possibility of hurting many people. The book was great in the way Ruth follows basic human instinct to right a wrong, when maybe that "wrong" wasn't all bad. I couldn't put the book down and highly recommend this book to others. Aren't family secrets always food for good fiction?

Talking About Race Matters

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

The Love Songs of W.E.B. Du Bois
    by Honorée Fannone Jeffers
    Honorée Fannone Jeffers' The Love Songs of W.E.B. Du Bois explores the Black experience in ...
  • Book Jacket: Unlikely Animals
    Unlikely Animals
    by Annie Hartnett
    Though Everton, New Hampshire, the town in Annie Hartnett's Unlikely Animals, is fictional, it ...
  • Book Jacket: Shadows of Berlin
    Shadows of Berlin
    by David R. Gillham
    David R. Gillham's latest novel, Shadows of Berlin, opens in New York City in 1955. Rachel, a young ...
  • Book Jacket: Trust
    Trust
    by Hernan Diaz
    Hernan Diaz's Trust is a work of fiction that is itself comprised of four very different works ...

Oh William!
by Elizabeth Strout
Pulitzer Prize winner Elizabeth Strout explores the mysteries of marriage and the secrets we keep.

Metropolis
    by B. A. Shapiro

"An ingeniously plotted hybrid social/suspense novel. Shapiro hits it out of the park."
    Shelf Awareness

Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man...

T S's T Limit