What readers think of Stories from Suffragette City, plus links to write your own review.

Stories from Suffragette City

Mar 1, 2022, 272 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Stories from Suffragette City

Dorothy H. (Folsom, CA)

Short stories of Suffragette Women
Ten writers have written short stories about women of all walks of life on the day of the largest Suffragette parade in NYC. A timely read.
Christine M.

Votes for Women
I don't read short stories very often, but I really enjoyed this collection. There was a lot of variety in the people who were included in them, but they were tied together very well by the focus of the suffragette's parade. I also enjoyed the appearance of Grace, Miss Suffragette City, in several of them. It's hard to recognize all the changes that have taken place in women's lives since 1915, until reading something like these stories that remind one of how different things were only a little more than one hundred years ago.
Carol S. (Mt. Juliet, TN)

Suffragette City
While doing some quarantine cleaning, I discovered my Philadelphia grandmother's "Women for the Vote" card. A timely find, since Book Browse listed "Stories from Suffragette City" as a First Impressions choice.

I love this short story format with a star-studded lineup of bestselling authors for each of the thirteen stories. It was moving to read about the determination and courageous spirit of these women who planned to march in New York City, all on the same date of October 23rd, 1915. Some of the marchers were familiar to me- Ava Vanderbilt and Ida B. Wells, for example. All the women, however, represent different ages, ethnicities and motivations for joining their voices in this important cause for the democracy we enjoy today.

I was particularly struck by diverse reactions of the men in the lives of these women- from the husband whose zoo trip to see the Thylacine marsupial becomes a pivotal awakening for his wife and a life changer for him to Charles Tiffany of jewelry fame who is opened reluctantly to a new vision for the future for himself and his seven year old niece, Grace. Grace appears throughout the stories proudly wearing her white satin ribbon with letters spelling out "Miss Suffragette City".

I enjoyed this book and the message of hope and equality it represented for women in 1915 and the courage it inspires in us today.
Lynn D. (Kingston, NY)

Votes for Women
I was drawn to this short story collection because of both the centennial of the 19th amendment and the 2020 presidential election. Stories from Suffragette City did not disappoint!
There are 12 loosely connected, all enjoyable, stories. They are by contemporary fiction writers, half new to me, and half long time favorite authors.
The NYC suffragette march of October 23, 1915 sets the stage as each story centers on a young girl, or older woman responding to the day's events. Some have been working for women's rights for years; others are just awakening to the cause.
Progress towards a more inclusive society has often required prolonged struggle. In these stories we see women with the courage to act and the faith to believe in a better future for all women. They were not perfect..now we can see that women of color should have been included as equals, as we see in, "American Womanhood."
We do well to remember these stories as we face the challenges of our own time. Highly recommended.
Pat Edgar

Suffrage Struggle Through Stories
Thirteen talented and well known authors contribute to the anthology, Stories from Suffragette City, edited by M.J. Rose and Fiona Davis. All of the stories have some connection to October 23, 1915, the day on which the largest group of U. S. women marched together in New York City in the effort to earn the right to vote. The characters of these tales are varied, coming from all over the country and representing very different ages and economic groups. In some instances, real historical figures are incorporated into the fictional narratives. Because of the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment this year, I’ve been reading a great deal of both fiction and nonfiction based on the women and men who were part of the more than 80-year struggle. Of all the volumes I’ve read, this will take pride of place on my shelves. I highly recommend it.
Portia A. (Monroe Township, NJ)

One Day in Oct. 2015
An excellent group of stories connected by the Suffragette March held on Oct. 23, 1915. A good overview of the time. Read it if you can.
Gail K. (Saratoga Springs, NY)

Nice tribute to the Suffrage Movement
Although I rarely choose to read short stories, I'm so glad I made an exception in requesting Stories from Suffragette City. While each story is set in New York City on October 15, 1915, the day when thousands of women marched up Fifth Avenue demanding the right to vote, each story in this collection is unique. And each one will resonate with women and men today who can appreciate the long, hard struggle to earn women's suffrage. While I liked all the stories, I think my favorites were the first, "Apple Season," and the last, "The Last Mile". The first featured a main character who was impoverished; the last featured characters who were privileged. I enjoyed seeing that the right to vote was important to all women, not just those of a certain social class. This would make a great "car book." You know, the book you leave in your car for the times you are stuck in traffic or find yourself at an appointment, having forgotten the book you are currently reading. I recommend it to those readers who care about justice - and to those who don't care but should.
Michele N. (Bethesda, MD)

Stories from Suffragette City
Although I don't read many short story collections, this one sounded interesting, particularly because several were written by authors I know and like. Stories from Suffragette City includes 13 stories, each one standing on its own, yet several linked by the same characters. The story lines were good. Some of the fictional accounts I recognized from other reading I've done on the suffragette movement but I enjoyed learning about some who were unfamiliar. If you want to learn more about this topic, Suffragists in Washington, DC: The 1913 Parade and the Fight for the Vote by Rebecca Boggs Roberts, provides an excellent historical look at this same subject.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

The Last Mona Lisa
    by Jonathan Santlofer
    In 1911, the Mona Lisa disappeared from its home at the Louvre in Paris. It took two years for the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Women of Troy
    The Women of Troy
    by Pat Barker
    Set in the liminal days following the Trojan War, The Women of Troy follows Briseis, who the reader ...
  • Book Jacket: The Magician
    The Magician
    by Colm Toibin
    Thomas Mann — the subject of this biographical novel by Colm Tóibín — is ...
  • Book Jacket: Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    by Anthony Doerr
    Anthony Doerr's Cloud Cuckoo Land may be even more remarkable than his Pulitzer-prize winning work ...

Morningside Heights
by Joshua Henkin
A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Flesh & Blood
    by N. West Moss

This beautifully written memoir offers insight, understanding, and joy.

Win This Book!
Win Sisters of the Great War

Sisters of the Great War by Suzanne Feldman

A powerful novel of two unconventional American sisters who volunteer at the front during World War I.

L Said, S M