What readers think of The Mystery of Mrs. Christie, plus links to write your own review.

The Mystery of Mrs. Christie

Dec 2020, 288 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The Mystery of Mrs. Christie

Shirley Fentz

Marie Benedict ala Agatha Christie style
What a creative novel based on a historical event! I thought that Marie Benedict offered some insight into the making of Agatha Christie as a mystery writer and her creative murder methods.
Agatha had little experience with men and when she met Archibald Christie, fell in love immediately. The story of their marriage unfolded in the book interspersed with her disappearance of 11 days.
Agatha Christie developed her writing skills from working in a pharmacy as a volunteer during WWI, and started writing after a challenge by her older sister Madge - to construct a mystery no reader could solve.. Her style became one where the entire premise of the book rested on an unexpected twist and an unreliable narrator. And it served her well. Every Agatha Christie mystery that I've read brings in a new surprise - a twist - and well developed characters that keep me guessing - who did it!?
I think that Marie Benedict did well to bring an unexpected twist to the story of her disappearance and I loved the ending - perfect for a story about Agatha Christie.
Thank you to Bookbrowse and Sourcebooks Landmark for a free ebook in exchange for an honest review.
Shawna (TX)

Must Read for Agatha Christie fans
I first read an Agatha Christie novel in junior high. I was hooked. I've read most of them over the years, and was intrigued by Marie Benedict's book on the actual eleven day disappearance of Mrs. Christie.

Blending events from Agatha's life with a writing style familiar to fans of Christie's novels, Marie Benedict pays homage to Christie's detective fiction. A very enjoyable read for both fans of Agatha Christie and historical fiction.
Julia E. (Atlanta, GA)

Skillful Historical Fiction
As avid Agatha-Christiephile's are aware, Christie's mystery novels still sell nearly as many copies as The Bible or works of Shakespeare. The library about this mystery novelist continues to expand as well. This cleverly structured, well-researched, fast-paced, skillfully written fictionalized account focuses on a famous 11-day period in Christie's life, when the already well-known author disappeared without trace, after a shouting match over a Friday breakfast with her husband, Archie Christie.
Benedict's fictionalized novel covering this disappearance twists like a double helix : chapters narrated by Agatha cover her life in flashbacks from October, 1912, when she first met Archie to December 14, 1926 when she reappears after her 11-day hiatus, intertwine with chapters narrated by Archie, which cover his day to day experience from Saturday, December 4, when her car was found by a cliff, to her discovery over a week later, safe and well at an upscale seaside hotel.
This is a must-read for fans of British mysteries, and a sound choice for those who enjoy sharply written, soundly researched historical fiction.
Celia Phillips

WOW
If you have read any of Agatha Christie's novels, love historical fiction or love a good mystery, YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK.

Even if you have not read a Christie, you certainly have heard of her. But how many of you know that she was missing for 11 days in December of 1926? Benedict has surmised a story line behind that disappearance and done a superb job.

The story is written in two time lines. The first: Agatha from about the age of 16 when she meets Archibald Christie, marries him and starts her writing career with The Mysterious Affair at Styles.

The second: the thoughts of Archie Christie as he endures the 11 days during her disappearance.

I received this book from BookBrowse in return for a review. Thank you to BookBrowse and Netgalley. Doing this review was a real pleasure.
Kristen H. (New Bern, NC)

Missing or not
I have always enjoyed reading Agatha Christie's books and I really enjoyed this one about Agatha herself. It held my attention and kept me turning pages. Just when I thought I had figured out it would take another twist. Very well written. Great for Book club discussions. Highly recommend.
Kathryn P. (Daniels, WV)

Mrs. Christie, where are you?
This book is another masterpiece by Marie Benedict. I have previously read The Other Einstein and the book about the wife of Sir Winston Churchill. Both also were good.

The Mystery of Mrs. Christie I believe would appeal to those who like historical fiction as well as those who like mysteries.

I liked the way Mrs. Benedict tied the novel into explaining many events from Mrs. Christie 's life, like her travels became the plot of one of her novels.

Because I am a member of a ladies book club , I read the book hoping it would be one we could discuss and I plan to recommend it as a book for our. Book Club 2020-2021.

I also enjoyed reading this book because it is a reflection of life 100 years ago, and yet Mrs. Christie's struggles with life are still plaguing women today.
Linda Z. (Melville, NY)

A Mystery About a Mystery
Wow! Marie Benedict, the author of "The Mystery of Mrs. Christie" has written an intriguing, captivating, and thought-provoking novel. The genres for this novel are historical fiction and fiction, with some mystery and suspense. The timeline for this story is around December 1926, when Agatha Christie really went missing for eleven days, and also goes to the past when it pertains to the characters or events. Marie Benedict does an amazing job of vividly describing the characters and the events in this novel. The characters are described as complex and complicated.

Marie Benedict's novel revolves around Agatha Christie's eleven missing days, as well as the possible suspect/s, and her relationship with her family and staff. There are different clues that point to the fact that Agatha Christie has disappeared. Was there foul play,? an accident? a murder? a kidnapping?

Why was Agatha Christie's husband considered a suspect, and what information did he with-hold from the police? How did all the clues be put in place, and how did the mystery writer herself become part of a bigger mystery?

I would highly recommend this memorable and thought-provoking story and thank BookBrowse, NetGalley, and Source Book Landing for the opportunity to read an ARC.
Jennifer B. (Oviedo, FL)

Agatha's Myteries Live On
As an lifelong avid reader of Agatha Christie I was eager to read The Mystery of Mrs. C. It is an engaging story that was hard to put down. The characterizations of Agatha and Archie Christie were entertaining if perhaps a bit over dramatic. So many theories have been posited about "the disappearance" of Agatha. Perhaps this novel offers one of the most plausible conjectures I have read. At any rate I love the puzzling aspects of the story in the style of A.C. Marie Benedict has become one of my favorite authors this year. It would have been interesting to read the author's notes at the end of the book, but it was not available in the pre-published ebook format. I shall recommend this novel to my book club.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Genesis
    Genesis
    by Guido Tonelli
    Popular science books represent an important niche in non-fiction. They build a bridge between ...
  • Book Jacket: Buses Are a Comin'
    Buses Are a Comin'
    by Charles Person, Richard Rooker
    Charles Person was just 18 years old in 1961 when he became the youngest of the first wave of '...
  • Book Jacket: Firekeeper's Daughter
    Firekeeper's Daughter
    by Angeline Boulley
    Angeline Boulley's young adult novel Firekeeper's Daughter follows 18-year-old Daunis — ...
  • Book Jacket: Winter in Sokcho
    Winter in Sokcho
    by Elisa Dusapin
    Our unnamed narrator is a young French-Korean woman who works at a guest house in Sokcho, a popular ...

Of Women and Salt
by Gabriela Garcia
A kaleidoscopic portrait of generations of women from a 19th-century Cuban cigar factory to the present day.

Ariadne
    by Jennifer Saint

A mesmerizing debut novel about Ariadne, Princess of Crete for fans of Madeline Miller's Circe.

A Theater for Dreamers
    by Polly Samson

A spellbinding tour-de-force about the beauty between naïveté and cruelty, artist and muse.

Harvard is the storehouse of knowledge because the freshmen bring so much in and the graduates take so little out.

A S I T closet