What readers think of The House on Vesper Sands, plus links to write your own review.

The House on Vesper Sands

Rachel Hullett

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The House on Vesper Sands

toni brabender

A Victorian Supernatural done to perfection
Thank you to BrookBrowse.com for an ARC of this lovely book.
"The House on Vesper Sands" by Paraic O'Donnell may just be one of the best books of 2021 and it is only January. What doesn't it offer? It is Victorian supernatural with Gothic qualities with just enough humor to balance some of the darker material. The duo of Cutter and Bliss may be the best duo of thief-takers since Sherlock and Holmes. The epilogue seems to hint that there could be a sequel and I so hope that there is. I think that Octavia will be a welcome addition to make this a trio. The dialog among them is witty, clever and at times laugh out loud funny. Although her role was much smaller in this book, I believe that she could play a larger part in future installments in the story but also in illuminating more of Cutter's personality. Each and every character is nuanced and multi-dimensional. Every word is pitch perfect whether it be caustic, tender, unsettling or funny. The descriptions of nighttime Victorian London provide a creepy atmosphere befitting the tale. I am in awe of the author's inventiveness. His creativity has created possibly the best mystery of the year or at least the most enjoyable mystery that I have read in quite some time.
Peg A

House on Vesper Sands
I had been wanting to read this book and then was fortunate enough to win it in a book giveaway. That however does not influence this review.
I thoroughly enjoyed the book and hope to read more by Paraic O’Donnell. The plot is a mystery wrapped up in Victorian spiritualism. The character development and relationships are well done and will leave you wanting to continue reading all night through. Wrap yourself in a warm blanket with a nice beverage and settle in for a very enjoyable dark yet at times humorous story.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

Migrations
    by Charlotte McConaghy
    Migrations, Australian author Charlotte McConaghy's literary fiction debut, earned a notably high ...
  • Book Jacket: The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    by Kristin Harmel
    Kristin Harmel's historical novel The Forest of Vanishing Stars was very well-received by our First ...
  • Book Jacket: African Europeans
    African Europeans
    by Olivette Otele
    The nexus of Africans and Europeans is not a recent historical development. Rather, the peoples of ...
  • Book Jacket: The Killing Hills
    The Killing Hills
    by Chris Offutt
    The personified hills of the novel's title foreshadow the mood of this brooding and ominous tale. ...

All the Little Hopes
by Leah Weiss
A Southern story of friendship forged by books and bees, in the murky shadows of World War II.

The Sunset Route
    by Carrot Quinn

A beautiful memoir about forgiveness, self-discovery, and the redemptive power of nature.

Win This Book!
Win The Debt Trap

The Debt Trap
by Josh Mitchell

"A meticulous, eye-opening history of the US student debt crisis."
—Publishers Weekly