Reader reviews and comments on The House on Vesper Sands, plus links to write your own review.

The House on Vesper Sands

Rachel Hullett

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The House on Vesper Sands

toni brabender

A Victorian Supernatural done to perfection
Thank you to BrookBrowse.com for an ARC of this lovely book.
"The House on Vesper Sands" by Paraic O'Donnell may just be one of the best books of 2021 and it is only January. What doesn't it offer? It is Victorian supernatural with Gothic qualities with just enough humor to balance some of the darker material. The duo of Cutter and Bliss may be the best duo of thief-takers since Sherlock and Holmes. The epilogue seems to hint that there could be a sequel and I so hope that there is. I think that Octavia will be a welcome addition to make this a trio. The dialog among them is witty, clever and at times laugh out loud funny. Although her role was much smaller in this book, I believe that she could play a larger part in future installments in the story but also in illuminating more of Cutter's personality. Each and every character is nuanced and multi-dimensional. Every word is pitch perfect whether it be caustic, tender, unsettling or funny. The descriptions of nighttime Victorian London provide a creepy atmosphere befitting the tale. I am in awe of the author's inventiveness. His creativity has created possibly the best mystery of the year or at least the most enjoyable mystery that I have read in quite some time.
Peg A

House on Vesper Sands
I had been wanting to read this book and then was fortunate enough to win it in a book giveaway. That however does not influence this review.
I thoroughly enjoyed the book and hope to read more by Paraic O’Donnell. The plot is a mystery wrapped up in Victorian spiritualism. The character development and relationships are well done and will leave you wanting to continue reading all night through. Wrap yourself in a warm blanket with a nice beverage and settle in for a very enjoyable dark yet at times humorous story.

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: Dark Horses
    Dark Horses
    by Susan Mihalic
    Dark Horses is a shocking, heart-pounding debut; it's both a coming-of-age novel and an unflinching ...
  • Book Jacket: Best Laid Plans
    Best Laid Plans
    by Gwen Florio
    When starting a series, first impressions are key. Introducing a sympathetic or relatable ...
  • Book Jacket: Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    by Malinda Lo
    Author Malinda Lo takes readers to Chinatown, San Francisco in 1954, where 17-year-old Lily Hu is ...
  • Book Jacket: No One Is Talking About This
    No One Is Talking About This
    by Patricia Lockwood
    If anyone knows the ins and outs of living online, it's Patricia Lockwood. Before her stellar memoir...

Black Widows
    by Cate Quinn

A brilliant joyride in the company of three sister-wives with nothing in common except their dead husband.

The Narrowboat Summer
by Anne Youngson
From the author of Meet Me at the Museum, a charming novel of second chances.
Win This Book!
Win Band of Sisters

Band of Sisters
by Lauren Willig

"A crackling portrayal of everyday American heroines…A triumph."
— Fiona Davis