MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Surviving Autocracy, plus links to write your own review.

Surviving Autocracy

Jun 2020, 272 pages

Lisa Butts

There is 1 reader review for Surviving Autocracy

Another winner by Masha Gessen
Masha Gessen really nailed it. I’m not much for politics and haven’t read too many Trump-focused books because I found that a frustrating and unappealing topic. I picked this up mainly due to author recognition. But it was great. Ms. Gessen’s explanations of things that have been happening since Trump was elected were insightful and inciteful. My only quibble is that there weren’t enough concrete ideas for action at the end, more of a philosophical wish for how things should change. Because of that, it felt like it ended abruptly. But I would recommend this wholeheartedly.

One-Month Free

Discover books that
entertain, engage & enlighten.

• Book Jacket: The Last Train to Key West
    The Last Train to Key West
    by Chanel Cleeton
    The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton received very positive comments from our First ...
  • Book Jacket: Tokyo Ueno Station
    Tokyo Ueno Station
    by Yu Miri
    Kazu is a ghost, seemingly condemned to haunt one of Japan's busiest train stations, the grounds of ...
    Delayed Rays of a Star
    by Amanda Lee Koe
    Amanda Lee Koe's Delayed Rays of a Star begins with a late-1920s photo of three women at a party in ...
  • Book Jacket: Sleepovers
    Sleepovers
    by Ashleigh Bryant Phillips
    In Ashleigh Bryant Phillips' debut story collection, Sleepovers, it can be difficult to keep tabs on...

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Wedding Thief

The Wedding Thief
by Mary Simses

Funny, soulful, and as sweet as buttercream, The Wedding Thief is the perfect summer read.

A S Louder T W