MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Splendid and the Vile, plus links to write your own review.

The Splendid and the Vile

Feb 2020, 608 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The Splendid and the Vile

Judith Hodges

One of Larsson's best!
I've read several of Larson's book, but this one was the absolute best. He made WC as lovable and wise as he must've been. Such a colorful character, his vision and guidance lead the Brits through one of their "darkest hours", utterly alone at the time, fighting the Nazis. His oratory was undeniable and necessary for uplifting a battered country. Can't think of another leader who would've persevered as he did. Truly loved it; made me laugh as well as cry! Getting ready to read it again, (had read when it first came out) before my Book Club meets to discuss it.
Christine P. (Gig Harbor, WA)

Dense and Detailed
When I saw that Erik Larson was writing a book about Winston Churchill and his first year as Prime Minister, I was thrilled. This past fall I was in London and visited the Churchill War Rooms so it was an opportunity to revisit what I had seen and learned in the museum. The book is dense with details of strategies and every day life as the Brits prepared for war and beyond. There is a lot to admire about Churchill and for some, a lot to criticize but the book reflects the loyalty to its leadership and the resilience of its citizens. There are tons of tidbits from personal diaries, which can make it gossipy at times, but for me, that's what gives history its liveliness. Its what makes Erik Larson a good writer of history. He also includes in this timeline what was happening with the leaders in Germany and the United States. It's a well researched snapshot of a particular period of time in WWII.
Claudia G. (Orange City, FL)

Churchill & family during the Blitz
Erik Larson, author of the "Devil in the White City" has, once again, made a memorable period of history come alive for readers of all ages. "The Splendid & the Vile" documents Churchill and his family's experiences during the Blitz.
Larson shows the reader Churchill's struggles to get a complacent Britain ready to respond to the Nazi threat. He also portrays not just the politics of the time but the inner workings of the Churchill family; wife Clementine, daughter Mary and pregnant daughter-in-law Pamela as they each react to the night-time bombings and general upheaval of this period. The reader learns how much Clementine dearly loved her husband but was also willing to speak up when necessary and remind him that "one leads by calm". Nelson, Churchill's black cat attended most staff meetings and also helped him stay calm when his political foes saw no immediate threat of invasion.

Larson made this period of history very personal to the reader. Who knew that children, at the age of 5 were given Mickey Mouse gas masks or that the King sought help from the British ambassador in the United States to remedy the shortage of bathroom tissue in the palace.

This is not a dry history book but a view into how a family, and ultimately how a country lived through times that seem insurmountable to the modern American.
Eileen C. (New York, NY)

Churchill and the Blitz
It is easy to forget that the outcome of World War Two wasn't inevitable and that the United States wasn't particularly eager to become involved. Larson has written a gripping, well-researched book which humanizes historical figures who have become—in some cases, with good reason—larger than life characters. By weaving together the personal with the political and historical, Larson is able to give us an idea of what it would be like to live in a country that was being bombed on a regular basis for months on end, and how Churchill sought to save it. It is a compelling and enlightening book. Highly recommended.
Kathrin C. (Corona, CA)

On the Brink
Erik Larson will take you on a meticulous backstage journey through Winston Churchill's opening year as Prime Minister just as WWII breaks all out. And he does it in such a way that will totally engage you to revisit the Blitz that nearly brought England to the brink.
It's a long read - but not a dry one. There are so many fascinating historical details and tidbits you wouldn't find in old history books - family trials and tribulations, war romance, political intrigue and '40s-style fake news. The pages will keep on turning.
Vicki Baty - Bookends Book Store, NMB, SC

Another Hit by Erik Larson
I admit I am a big fan of Erik Larson and have read most of his books. When I got the chance to read and review his latest, The Splendid and the Vile, I was extremely happy.

The Splendid and the Vile starts with Churchill's appointment as Prime Minister of England in May, 1940. Unhappy with the way Neville Chamberlain's government was conducting the war and looking for a more aggressive approach, Parliament held a confidence vote and Chamberlain's government was toppled. Although George VI was not impressed with Chamberlain's suggestion of Winston Churchill, the First Lord of the Admiralty, as Prime Minister, he asked Churchill to accept the position and form his own government.

Almost immediately Adolf Hitler gave directions to step up bombing attacks on England, at first focusing on London and then strategic industrial targets throughout the country. In reply Churchill, using his intelligence, resources, contacts, and amazing oratory skills, taught England to fight back.

In Larson's story the reader can see, hear, and smell the London of 1940. His rich descriptions of Churchill, his family, and contacts as well of those of the German leadership, create vivid pictures of the characters.

Erik Larson brings history to life. His books are entertaining and always well researched. Even as a student of history, especially that of World War II, I learned so much from this book. The only fault I had with the book (and this is a personal thing for me) is that I enjoy pictures. I found I kept looking up the people Larson describes so I could see them more clearly.

If you are a history fan or even if you just want to learn more about Winston Churchill and his first year in office, this book is for you.
Sarah M. (Kirksville, MO)

A Stay-Up-Way-Past-Bedtime Read
Lots of World War II novels and histories have been published lately, but Larson's is a compulsive, stay-up-way-past-bedtime read. He makes Churchill's political brinkmanship so thrilling, it's easy to forget everything you learned about history and turn each page waiting to see how each maneuver will turn out. Churchill is not the only draw, though. We become invested in the love life of his personal secretary, Jock Colville, worry about what Churchill's ne'er-do-well son will do to embarrass him next, and dread each passing night as more bombs fall on London. But upon finishing The Splendid and The Vile, all you feel is gratitude for all the men and women who stood in the way of Hitler's campaign to take over Europe and possibly the world.
Carol S. (Mt. Juliet, TN)

The Splendid and the Vile
As a confirmed "fiction almost always" reader, I was completely drawn in to this suspenseful and historic account of a year (1940-1941) in the life of Winston Churchill, his family, friends, employees and other British citizens on the scene during his first term as British Prime Minister. Having completed the 500 pages of this book, I wanted to read more about this fearless and charismatic leader as he moved his country through the remaining years of World War II and victory. Part 2 perhaps?

Through it all, Churchill's brilliant speeches, presented with fascinating details of their writing and delivery, resonated through this story. I could not help but imagine how his inspiring words and example must have bolstered the courage of those in the crosshairs of relentless and vile German bombs. I read with interest the many splendid events inspired by Churchill's words, making the title of Erik Larson's book especially meaningful.

I was interested especially in the details of the strategies of German Luftwaffe commanders. The reluctance of some German fliers to carry out their brutal bombing missions on civilian targets was a notable contrast presented by Larson which added to the appeal of his new look at past events in this well-researched book.

• Book Jacket: Waiting for an Echo
    Waiting for an Echo
    by Christine Montross
    Dr. Christine Montross had been a practicing psychiatrist for nearly a decade when she decided to ...
    The Flight Portfolio
    by Julie Orringer
    At once a sweeping historical narrative, an insightful character study and a tender romance, Julie ...
  • Book Jacket: The Color of Air
    The Color of Air
    by Gail Tsukiyama
    Daniel was raised in Hilo, Hawaii by Japanese immigrant parents. Having traveled to the U.S. ...
    The Volunteer
    by Jack Fairweather
    Though many found The Volunteer a challenging read, First Impressions responses were overwhelmingly ...

Hieroglyphics
    by Jill McCorkle

A mesmerizing novel about piecing together the hieroglyphics of history and memory.

He Started It
    by Samantha Downing

A new thriller from the twisted mind behind the mega hit My Lovely Wife.

The Last Flight
by Julie Clark

The story of two women and one agonizing decision that will change the trajectory of both of their lives.

Win Every Bone a Prayer

Every Bone a Prayer by Ashley Blooms

A beautifully honest exploration of healing and of hope.

T Real M