What readers think of Lady Clementine, plus links to write your own review.

by Marie Benedict

Lady Clementine by Marie Benedict X
Lady Clementine by Marie Benedict

Jan 2020, 336 pages
    Jul 2020, 416 pages

There are currently 21 reader reviews for Lady Clementine

Mary C. (Plano, TX)

Lady Clementine
While I have read much about the life of Winston Churchill, I have never delved into the historic facts about Clementine. Marie Benedict allows the reader an interesting perspective, a historic fictional account of Clementine, not just as the Prime Minister's wife, but as an influential force in her own right. It was interesting to be privy to the inner workings of the relationship between Clementine and her more famous husband. The novel made me wonder which parts of the relationship were accurate, founded on fact. The interplay of the relationship between husband and wife is very realistic, as is the dialogue. Now after reading the book, I feel the need to explore more about the life of these two historical figures. Isn't that what good historical fiction should do, make us want to explore more about the subject? I see far-ranging ideas for book club groups as the readers discuss such topics as the effect of war on the day-to-day lives of the British people and the role Clementine Churchill played in serving the citizens - not just of Britain but other countries as well.
Peggy A. (Fairfax, VA)

Lady Clementine
I really enjoyed reading about Winston and his wife, Clementine and their families. To me, the author presents their personalities in ways I would not have thought to be.

Some parts of the book became slow reading but it held my interest enough to finish the book.

This book has inspired me to read more about the Churchills and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to other readers of historical fiction.
Carol C. (Troy, NY)

Lady Clementine
Lady Clementine, a novel as opposed to a biography, portrays Clementine as the person who molded Winston Churchill into the leader he became, the behind-the-scenes adviser in both personal and political matters. The book focuses on the years from their meeting and marriage to the end of World War II, moving from one important date to the next. I enjoyed the book, but it left me with a desire to know more about her life, and a desire to seek out a full biography of Clementine.
Debra C. (Vienna, GA)

LADY CLEMENTINE: Britain's Steel Magnolia
"The Crown" generated my interest in the Churchill family, and Benedict's LADY CLEMENTINE provided compelling insights regarding the personal and political struggles and successes of this intriguing couple. Well written and researched, Benedict captures the intimate and intricate details of the Churchill family as Britain is enmeshed in WW II. She engages the reader as a witness to, not only Winston's courage and strengths , but also the vigor, intuitiveness, and unwavering faith displayed by Clementine. Without Benedict's novel, Winston's secret weapon would remain just that...a secret. Thank you for exposing the beautiful story of a strong willed couple whose sacrifices, intensity, love of country and each other is to be admired.
Janet H. (Long Beach, CA)

For History Buffs
Lady Clementine, by Marie Benedict is an unusual look at WW l and WW ll history from the perspective of Winston Churchill's wife, Clementine. The book is written in her voice. She is a smart, ambitious woman who appears, at times, discontent to ride on his coat tails. I found her voice off putting at times; she sounded self-important, and that became tedious. It took longer than expected to work my way through this book. I recommend Lady Clementine to those who want to learn more about WW ll from an unusual perspective.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Honor
    Honor
    by Thrity Umrigar
    First Impressions readers enjoyed being transported to India via Thrity Umrigar's novel Honor, with ...
  • Book Jacket: What Storm, What Thunder
    What Storm, What Thunder
    by Myriam J. A. Chancy
    What Storm, What Thunder illuminates life in Haiti during and after the massive earthquake on ...
  • Book Jacket: Noor
    Noor
    by Nnedi Okorafor
    Noor's heroine goes by the moniker AO. Though officially this stands for her given name, Anwuli ...
  • Book Jacket: Five Tuesdays in Winter
    Five Tuesdays in Winter
    by Lily King
    Lily King's two recent novels Euphoria and Writers & Lovers could hardly be more different: one has ...

My Broken Language
by Quiara Alegría Hudes
A Pulitzer Prize–winning playwright tells her lyrical coming of age story in a sprawling Puerto Rican family.

The Paris Bookseller
    by Kerri Maher

How a humble bookseller fought incredible odds to bring one of the 20th century's most important books to the world.

Free
    by Lea Ypi

"Nothing short of a masterpiece."
    Publishers Weekly
    (starred review)

The low brow and the high brow

A P O B Y Houses