MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Seine, plus links to write your own review.

The River that Made Paris

Oct 2019, 304 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for The Seine

Rory A. (Ventura, CA)

A delightful treasure hunt
This is one of those books that you approach if you know a little something about the Seine as it is in Paris, but never thought about it much beyond that, curious about what you might not know. It becomes a treasure hunt with a wonderful tour guide, with Elaine Scolino professing her love of the Seine and then seeking out its history, how it forms Paris, where it originates from, and various interesting tidbits in between. The delights keep coming as she digs deeper, and it's a useful journey to take.
Portia A. (Monroe Township, NJ)

A delightful journey
I believe my title says it all. Elaine Sciolino has captured the Seine and its history in a most enjoyable way. Recommended for romantics, travelers, history buffs and anyone else looking for a good book.
Deanna W. (Port Jefferson, NY)

My Trip along the Seine
I really enjoyed Elaine Sciolino's THE ONLY STREET IN PARIS...so I was looking forward to this book...I was not disappointed...last spring I sailed north on the Seine from Paris to Normandy...this wonderful book provided a rich history of the extraordinary places along this river...after reading I must now make my plans to travel south from Paris...I highly recommend.
Mary Anne R. (Towson, MD)

The Seine
This is a book I needed to read slowly in order to absorb the wealth of the Seine's story. The author covers the geography,history,archaeology,ecology and other aspects of this river. Elaine Sciolino's bibliography is extensive. To get in the mood of traveling along the Seine I re-watched Charade and enjoyed the lights on the river. Even though the book covers so much information I felt myself drawn into each part of the river's story.

What I liked most were the author's interviews with people who lived and worked along the Seine. I especially loved the story of the barge people. The author has a gift for bringing out the passions of the people she interviewed.

I have not been to France but wanted to learn about this famous river and am glad I did. This book will appeal to travelers and armchair travelers who wish to expand their knowledge of this part of the world.
Karen S. (Epping, NH)

The Seine: The River That Made Paris
I very much enjoyed this book. I read this at a slower pace than usual just to enjoy each chapter. As someone who loves Paris and the river Seine it was a real treat to read this book!. The authors passion for France and the Seine is very much apparent in her prose. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading about France and Paris and anyone who is planning on traveling to the most wonderful city in the world!
M K. (Minneapolis, MN)

The Seine: The River That Made Paris by Elaine Sciolino
The Seine, nearly five hundred miles long, showcases Paris in all its glory and winds its way to the English Channel and adventures outward to New York and elsewhere. It is a shallow dirty river with a history of novelists and artists, breweries and booksellers, and romantics and dreamers. Eliane Sciolino's journey takes you into all the nooks and crannies that are the bounty of any long river. Her zealous research covers infinite possibilities as well as focusing a good deal of the energy to the river's intimate relationship with Paris. Whether you've been to Paris or not, Sciolino's history is rich and bound to entice anyone to at least imagine seeing this river in their lifetime, if only in the many films the Seine plays a part.
Colleen T. (Lakewood, CO)

The Seine
The Seine – The River That Made Paris by Elaine Sciolino is a wonderful historical description of the River Seine that flows through the heart of Paris, France. Sciolino begins with a description of the Seine as it currently looks and follows the river from its headwaters to its emptying at the English Channel. There are histories and stories of wineries, fishing, barge life, songs, and movies among other things and her story telling is magical. I enjoyed the book and really felt as though I was with the author as she discovered the river from the beginning to the end. However, I wish there would have been more photos of the bridges and buildings, and a glossary of French terms for those of us who don't know French.
Mary Jane D. (Arlington Heights, IL)

"Everything" Seine
The Seine : The River That Made Paris is an excellent compilation of facts about "everything" Seine. It covers many well researched topics such as its source, its history, its geographic features, its cities, its influence on the arts,its people who live on it and along its banks, its iconic place as a symbol of Paris. The writing style is easy to read and makes all the facts flow like a comprehensive story. At times I thought it got bogged down a bit in details. I would recommend it for people who have visited Paris and the cities on the Seine as I have and it rekindled happy memories. It would also be a good read for someone anticipating a trip for ideas of what to look forward to.

• Book Jacket: Race Against Time
    Race Against Time
    by Jerry Mitchell
    Jerry Mitchell spent nearly three decades trailing cold cases from the Civil Rights Movement. As a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Resisters
    The Resisters
    by Gish Jen
    Gish Jen's The Resisters depicts a future United States, dubbed AutoAmerica, where climate change ...
  • Book Jacket: The Mercies
    The Mercies
    by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
    It's 1617 and a violent storm has claimed the lives of 40 fishermen off the coast of Vardø, a ...
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...

And They Called It Camelot
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

An unforgettable portrait of American legend Jackie O.

I Want You to Know We're Still Here
    by Esther Safran Foer

"A vivid testimony to the power of memory."
    - Kirkus (starred review)

The Things They Carried
by Tim O'Brien

The classic, ground-breaking meditation on war and the redemptive power of storytelling.

Win Mostly Dead Things

Mostly Dead Things
by Kristen Arnett

"Hilarious, deeply morbid, and full of heart."
- BuzzFeed