MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Mighty Justice, plus links to write your own review.

My Life in Civil Rights

by Dovey Johnson Roundtree , Katie McCabe

Mighty Justice by Dovey Johnson Roundtree , Katie McCabe X
Mighty Justice by Dovey Johnson Roundtree , Katie McCabe

• Published:
    Nov 2019, 304 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for Mighty Justice

Elizabeth K. (Dallas, TX)

A Mighty Important Book
I'd recommend that every American read this compelling book. It is written from the perspective of a fighter for legal justice who was intimately involved in the civil rights movement. Dovey Johnson Roundtree is an admirable person, and her life story is both compelling and impressive.
Xandra B. (Clarksdale, MS)

Mighty Justice
Dovey Johnson Roundtree's story is amazing! This is a story of an amazing African American woman who accepted and won challenges that would have been thought to be impossible, especially during her day. Her diligence broke not only color barriers but also gender (army, courtroom, church). I am an African American female who takes pride in learning of and knowing the history of female and African Americans but did not know of this outstanding woman. I found the book to be motivational for not only African Americans but women of all races. It should be utilized in classrooms around the nation on the college level due to the content strong vocabulary. It was definitely time for her story to be told!
Elizabeth T. (Salem, MA)

Interesting in So Many Ways!
Despite its solemn title, Mighty Justice: My Life in Civil Rights is lively, engaging, and stirring on so many levels. First, it's a memoir by Dovie J Rountree, who earned her degree from Howard Law School in 1950, when black female attorneys were virtually unheard of, and thus won her entrance into the inner circle of the 20th century Civil Rights movement. Thus is it also a primary source history of the heartbreakingly difficult struggle of that movement as it moved up from Jim Crow through "separate but equal" and, finally, if still imperfectly, approaches "equal justice under the law." Dovie, who died in 2018 at 104, is a vibrant figure whose legal cases take on the excitement of a miniseries. Highly recommended.
Susan U. (Brookfield, WI)

A Life With Purpose
Mighty Justice is a well written, well researched and powerful book about the life of Dovey Johnson Roundtree, a major force in the civil rights movement. She had the courage to take on the white establishment in a life long struggle for justice for the common Black man. Her strength and perseverance give us all a lesson in what it means to believe in something so strongly that we never give up no matter how many times we are pushed down. I don't understand why she does not have a prominent role in American history. I absolutely enjoyed the book, would recommend to book clubs for the conversation it will stimulate, particularly in this time when the old Jim Crow South seems to be gaining strength. It's a book about empowerment and should be read by all who want justice and equality to be the norm, not something that must be fought for.
Nancy M. (Bernardsville, NJ)

Mighty Justice
This book is a must read for anyone who thinks they know about Jim Crow. It is an eye-opener for those raised with the benefits of white privilege, She vividly gives a real sense of what life was like for an African American under segregation. Dovey Roundtree's life was shaped by many powerful women and men who inspired and encouraged her, in spite of her humble beginnings. Her perseverance in her life, against great odds led her strive for justice in the courts, and for women's rights and to be an early civil rights leader.
Windell H. (Rock Hill, SC)

Perseverance
Mighty Justice is the life of Dovey Johnson Roundtree and her involvement in the Civil Rights movement. The book was great for anyone living during this time and it would be a great read for book club discussion. I would highly recommend this book to my group of friends. Dovey is an inspiration to people who are still seeking freedom for all peoples.
Lynn D. (Kingston, NY)

Dovey Roundtree's fight for justice
Dovey Roundtree's memoir, beautifully co written with Katie McCabe, is an amazing story of a woman overcoming racism and sexism throughout the 20th century. She was raised in the Jim Crow south by a grandmother determined to stand up to the injustices around her, and who taught Dovey to stay strong.
Much of the memoir describes Dovey's perseverance to achieve her goals.
The narrative about her case, Keys vs. Carolina Bus Co, and the cases that became known as Brown vs. Board of Education, which ended 'separate but equal' are fascinating.
Her story is full of heart. She conveys her love and gratitude for the people who inspired and mentored her, especially the professor who advised her to 'pass it on.'
Clearly Roundtree lived this all her life.
Her struggle for justice for all continues to inspire us today.
Highly recommended.
Sally H. (Geneva, OH)

Mighty Justice
This book is mesmerizing, compelling, and absolutely un-put-downable. The behind-the-scenes descriptions of the courtroom battles against Jim Crow and segregation were fascinating, yet the entire story is told with such warmth that it reads like a novel. Dovey Roundtree is an inspiration, especially for African Americans and women. It is inexcusable that she is virtually unknown and past time for that to change.

Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...
  • Book Jacket: Run Me to Earth
    Run Me to Earth
    by Paul Yoon
    Suspenseful and elegant storytelling in Run Me to Earth kept me turning pages even through traumatic...
  • Book Jacket: Beheld
    Beheld
    by TaraShea Nesbit
    Much like her debut novel The Wives of Los Alamos, TaraShea Nesbit's Beheld imagines a familiar ...
  • Book Jacket: My Dark Vanessa
    My Dark Vanessa
    by Kate Russell
    The plot of Kate Elizabeth Russell's My Dark Vanessa follows the life of Vanessa Wye, who at the age...

Actress
    by Anne Enright

From the Man Booker Prize–winner, a brilliant and moving novel about celebrity, and power.

The Yellow Bird Sings
    by Jennifer Rosner

A breathtaking debut inspired by the true stories of Jewish children hidden during WWII.

The Things They Carried
by Tim O'Brien

The classic, ground-breaking meditation on war and the redemptive power of storytelling.

Win The Firsts

The Inside Story of the Women Reshaping Congress

"An intimately told story, with detailed and thought-provoking portraits..."
--New York Times