Reader reviews and comments on The Secrets We Kept, plus links to write your own review.

The Secrets We Kept

Sep 2019, 368 pages

There are currently 22 reader reviews for The Secrets We Kept

Karen

Intrigue Behind Doctor Zhivago
Now a Reese's Book Club pick! Happy to see that this Cold War thriller with literature at its heart is generating so much interest. I had no idea of the controversy surrounding Pasternak's novel, the pain and heartbreak of those close to Pasternak - caused by the writing and publication of Doctor Zhivago, and how the CIA saw the book as a tool to use in their fight against communism. The reader will enjoy how Prescott weaves the two threads (East vs West) together as the story unfolds. Love the movie version and now can't wait to move on to the original.
Dorothy L. (Manalapan, NJ)

The Secrets We Kept Keeps You Reading
I found this an unusual and interesting read. I remembered bits and pieces of the Dr. Zhivago story but found the backstory fascinating. I particularly liked the story of the typists/spies. I liked the structure of East and West but found the points of view in certain chapters confusing. The Cold War period was evoked well, as well as the social mores of the time period. I don't think it is a book for everyone but I enjoyed it. I intend to see the movie again because I think my perspective will be different and it will be more meaningful the second time around.
Samantha H. (Golden, CO)

Well written, interesting story
"The Secrets We Kept" is a very enjoyable read. The characters are likable and well developed. There is a change of narrator with every chapter, so I had to pay close attention to the chapter headings to know who was speaking. (It took a little effort at first, but I soon fell into the rhythm). I was not familiar with the history of the novel "Doctor Zhivago," and found the tale fascinating. I highly recommend it. I think this novel would be a good candidate for book clubs -- it is certain to stimulate discussion.
Shawna (TX)

Original, Captivating Historical Fiction - Secretaries & Spies in the Cold War
Very interesting historical fiction novel set during the Cold War about the writing, publication, and distribution of Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak. Few novels are set in this time period and Prescott's detailed research provides for a rich narrative told through the eyes of three women in dual timelines. Book clubs will find much to discuss about the cold war, friendships, secrets, risk, and loyalty. A great book for those who enjoy historical fiction looking for something new and fresh.
Leah L. (Lawrence, NY)

An interesting slice of history
Two stories parallel and intersect one another is this novel about the behind-the-scenes of the epic book-turned-film Dr. Zhivago and the cadre of women in this country who were recruited to be spies. The author admirably works the threads together of different groups of people on different continents who really are only 2-3 degrees of separation from one another yet impact each other. This book is clearly a labor of love for Prescott.
Carol P. (Tuscaloosa, AL)

Sadly Disappointed
The premise of the plot of "The Secrets We Kept" was intriguing, but the writing and structure never delivered the punch I anticipated. Honestly, the characters (and there are many!) were never developed or nuanced to a degree that made me care what happened to them, one way or the other. The Cold War atmosphere was well portrayed. This will not be a book I recommend to people who are interested in literature or the Cold War or a compelling narrative.

Dr. Zhivago, the Movie

• Book Jacket: The World That We Knew
    The World That We Knew
    by Alice Hoffman
    Alice Hoffman's sparkling prose and immersive descriptions of place summon readers into World War II...
  • Book Jacket: Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
    Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
    by Olga Tokarczuk
    A subversive feminist noir mystery set in a remote Polish village, Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of...
  • Book Jacket: The World Doesn't Require You
    The World Doesn't Require You
    by Rion Amilcar Scott
    You can't move for young authors being marketed as "unique," "bold" and "visionary" these days. So ...
  • Book Jacket: The Long Call
    The Long Call
    by Ann Cleeves
    Penning a great murder mystery seems like it would be particularly challenging. The story often fits...

The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino

"A soulful, transformative voyage along the body of water that defines the City of Light."
    —Lauren Collins

Ordinary Girls
    by Jaquira Díaz

Reminiscent of Tara Westover's Educate and Roxane Gay's Hunger--a memoir that reads as electrically as a novel.

Win The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

An enchanting story for fans of The Little Paris Bookshop and The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

L, Damn L, A S