MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt, plus links to write your own review.

The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt

by Andrea Bobotis

The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt by Andrea Bobotis X
The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt by Andrea Bobotis

Jul 2019, 320 pages
    Jul 2019, 320 pages

There are currently 22 reader reviews for The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt

Lucy S. (Westford, MA)

Slow starting but everlasting....
Slow starting for me as Miss Judith Kratt decides to take a detailed inventory of the contents of her house where she has lived her entire life. The inventory, varied and detailed stirs up memories and family secrets and as the inventory progresses - the secrets, the cruelty and mores of the day come to light. The reader is transported back and forth between a previous era and the present as the characters develop and mysteries revealed. It's one of those books where the characters stay with you after the book is finished
Jane E. (Port Republic, MD)

Gifted story teller
I could almost hear Judith's southern accent in my ear. I really liked her character. I would love to sit down and spend an afternoon with her! Her inventory list grows as more history and secrets are revealed.
The writing is beautiful. Andrea Bobotis is a gifted and humorous story teller.
Bev C. (Latrobe, PA)

The Last List Of Miss Judith Kratt
May 1989: Miss Judith Kratt of Bound, South Carolina, begins an inventory of possessions on the old Kratt estate. At 75 years, it is time for Judith to review, reassess and reassign. And, we are privileged to overhear memories.

The prelude to the story (alternating in 1929 and 1989 timelines) is "Murder Stuns Distinguished Family" and it details the death of 14 year old Quincy Kratt in 1929.
The political, social and economic landscape is detailed in this Southern historical fiction, and a multilayered family structure emerges.

The characters are sharp and portrayal of the times is vivid. The inventory list grows and unfolds into the Kratt family saga. Although I anticipated a few things, there was much more that was intriguing. I think many readers would find this tale worth the pursuit.
Connie L. (Bartlesville, OK)

Mystery in a Small Southern Town
There is a strong hook at the beginning of The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt. The boy - did he die of an accident, or was it murder? The writing is distinctively southern and engaging, with interesting characters. Things were happening all the time to keep me interested, but I found it somewhat confusing as the chapters flipped from present to past and back, and elements of the ending of the book did not ring true for me. Overall I think it is a solid read, but not worthy of 5 stars.
Susan S. (Springdale, AR)

The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt
A list of possessions becomes a list of memories and secrets kept for 60 years. I wanted to hear more from Judith as she brought forth the relevance of each item in her inventory as it related to the history of her family and the small southern town of her childhood. I thoroughly enjoyed traveling thru time with each tray, figurine, book and piece of furniture. I highly recommend this book for reading groups.
Mary S. (Hilton Head Island, SC)

Wanted To Like It, But---
When I first started to read this book, I thought it was going to be in the genre of Harper Lee-- southern mystery and history blended into a likable, easy to read story. Instead I found the story contrived and loosely put together by confusing attempts to keep the reader guessing. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. The author's credentials are impressive, but somehow she did not put together storylines well. Much editing is needed before this book is released!

• Book Jacket: Tokyo Ueno Station
    Tokyo Ueno Station
    by Yu Miri
    Kazu is a ghost, seemingly condemned to haunt one of Japan's busiest train stations, the grounds of ...
    Delayed Rays of a Star
    by Amanda Lee Koe
    Amanda Lee Koe's Delayed Rays of a Star begins with a late-1920s photo of three women at a party in ...
  • Book Jacket: Sleepovers
    Sleepovers
    by Ashleigh Bryant Phillips
    In Ashleigh Bryant Phillips' debut story collection, Sleepovers, it can be difficult to keep tabs on...
    The Beekeeper of Aleppo
    by Christy Lefteri
    In Christy Lefteri's sophomore novel, The Beekeeper of Aleppo, the author introduces readers to ...

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Wedding Thief

The Wedding Thief
by Mary Simses

Funny, soulful, and as sweet as buttercream, The Wedding Thief is the perfect summer read.

A S Louder T W