Reader reviews and comments on The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt, plus links to write your own review.

The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt

by Andrea Bobotis

The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt by Andrea Bobotis X
The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt by Andrea Bobotis

• Published:
    Jul 2019, 320 pages

There are currently 22 reader reviews for The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt

Lucy S. (Westford, MA)

Slow starting but everlasting....
Slow starting for me as Miss Judith Kratt decides to take a detailed inventory of the contents of her house where she has lived her entire life. The inventory, varied and detailed stirs up memories and family secrets and as the inventory progresses - the secrets, the cruelty and mores of the day come to light. The reader is transported back and forth between a previous era and the present as the characters develop and mysteries revealed. It's one of those books where the characters stay with you after the book is finished
Jane E. (Port Republic, MD)

Gifted story teller
I could almost hear Judith's southern accent in my ear. I really liked her character. I would love to sit down and spend an afternoon with her! Her inventory list grows as more history and secrets are revealed.
The writing is beautiful. Andrea Bobotis is a gifted and humorous story teller.
Bev C. (Latrobe, PA)

The Last List Of Miss Judith Kratt
May 1989: Miss Judith Kratt of Bound, South Carolina, begins an inventory of possessions on the old Kratt estate. At 75 years, it is time for Judith to review, reassess and reassign. And, we are privileged to overhear memories.

The prelude to the story (alternating in 1929 and 1989 timelines) is "Murder Stuns Distinguished Family" and it details the death of 14 year old Quincy Kratt in 1929.
The political, social and economic landscape is detailed in this Southern historical fiction, and a multilayered family structure emerges.

The characters are sharp and portrayal of the times is vivid. The inventory list grows and unfolds into the Kratt family saga. Although I anticipated a few things, there was much more that was intriguing. I think many readers would find this tale worth the pursuit.
Connie L. (Bartlesville, OK)

Mystery in a Small Southern Town
There is a strong hook at the beginning of The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt. The boy - did he die of an accident, or was it murder? The writing is distinctively southern and engaging, with interesting characters. Things were happening all the time to keep me interested, but I found it somewhat confusing as the chapters flipped from present to past and back, and elements of the ending of the book did not ring true for me. Overall I think it is a solid read, but not worthy of 5 stars.
Susan S. (Springdale, AR)

The Last List of Miss Judith Kratt
A list of possessions becomes a list of memories and secrets kept for 60 years. I wanted to hear more from Judith as she brought forth the relevance of each item in her inventory as it related to the history of her family and the small southern town of her childhood. I thoroughly enjoyed traveling thru time with each tray, figurine, book and piece of furniture. I highly recommend this book for reading groups.
Mary S. (Hilton Head Island, SC)

Wanted To Like It, But---
When I first started to read this book, I thought it was going to be in the genre of Harper Lee-- southern mystery and history blended into a likable, easy to read story. Instead I found the story contrived and loosely put together by confusing attempts to keep the reader guessing. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. The author's credentials are impressive, but somehow she did not put together storylines well. Much editing is needed before this book is released!

• Book Jacket: Curious Toys
    Curious Toys
    by Elizabeth Hand
    In Curious Toys, Elizabeth Hand tells the story of Vivian, a 14-year-old girl disguised as a boy ...
  • Book Jacket: Your House Will Pay
    Your House Will Pay
    by Steph Cha
    Steph Cha's novel Your House Will Pay shows how a legacy of violence and injustice can ripple ...
  • Book Jacket: Divide Me By Zero
    Divide Me By Zero
    by Lara Vapnyar
    Divide Me By Zero begins with an encounter between the narrator, Katya Geller, a 40-something mother...
  • Book Jacket: Mighty Justice
    Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree , Katie McCabe
    What it's about:
    Dovey Johnson Roundtree was one of two lawyers who won the landmark case "Sarah ...

The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino

"A soulful, transformative voyage along the body of water that defines the City of Light."
    —Lauren Collins

The In-Betweens
    by Mira Ptacin

"A fascinating history of an American community of Spiritualists... a fabulous read."
    —Elizabeth Gilbert

Win Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

From the author of
Calling Me Home

An emotionally raw and resonant story of two young women connected by a home for "fallen girls," and inspired by historical events.

W G Up M C D