Reader reviews and comments on The Guest Book, plus links to write your own review.

by Sarah Blake

The Guest Book by Sarah Blake X
The Guest Book by Sarah Blake

• Published:
    May 2019, 448 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The Guest Book

Ariel F. (Madison, WI)

A three generation saga
Can money, greed, mistakes, and lack of trust destroy a family? The author of The Guest Book, showed the reader extremely well how money, greed and lack of trust can destroy a family in this 3-generation saga of the Milton family. In some instances, I felt some of the incidents could be tied to things happening today.
A great big thank you to Book Browse and the publisher for providing me with this advanced reading copy of The Guest House to read and review and provide my personal opinions and comments.
Patty S. (Towson, MD)

Family Secrets
The Guest Book is the story of a family, an island, and the secrets that are held within the walls of a treasured house. Sarah Blake has written a beautiful and thoughtful book about the way money and power can color the way we see – and want to be seen in – the world. Ogden and Kitty Milton purchased an island off of the coast of Maine in the 1930s. The grandchildren are now left to decide what to do with it. As they struggle with reality and their childhood memories, they must grapple with the truths they come to know. I love a good family saga, but this one went well beyond my expectations.
Deanna W. (Port Jefferson, NY)

Family Saga
I enjoyed Sarah Blake's previous novel - THE POSTMISTRESS ...Her new novel is also an enjoyable read...THE GUEST BOOK is a family saga that follows three generations of the Miltons ...The reader travels back and forth in time to experience the family myth on a beautiful island in Maine...It covers the classic theme of how we remember and what we choose to forget...It is perfect for Book Groups...
Gail K. (Saratoga Springs, NY)

Kudos to Sarah Blake
Three generations of intriguing women. An exclusive family-owned island off the coast of Maine. Lives of privilege versus lives without. A strict sense of matriarchal duty. Secrets. Regrets. All elements that draw me in for a good read. All elements in Sarah Blake's The Guest Book. I was hooked from page one. Indulge yourself, and take this one to the beach, along with your sand chair, your umbrella, your sunscreen and a nice, cool beverage. Plan to settle in for a long afternoon of reading. You won't be sorry.
Julie

Island Life!
Beautifully written generation story with thorough character development. I enjoyed the detailed description of island life and family traditions. The story reminded me we all act the way we do for a reason and it's better to face our past than bury it! Also, the Milton Family were not the best communicators. It drove me crazy that the granddaughters didn't know the significance of the little yellow car :( I loved Evie's quote "she was in the line up grown-ups behind the child." Good story, read the book and enjoy!
Anl

Good read
Enjoyable read. The typical family saga with a modern twist to include commentary on race, religion, and overall prejudgement. But not overbearing - pretty realistic (having lived through some of that time). Well done characters, and back and forth in time without losing plot line.
A few plot threads were a little weak and not well linked. Not to detail or it will spoil plot.
Vicki

Not a fan of these characters
I would say this was a 3.5 star read for me, rounded up. I was dying to read this after seeing a glowing review from the owner of the Northshire Bookstore, but unfortunately it didn’t live up to my expectations. The plot line was interesting and kept me surprised and reading, but overall I disliked some of the characters. They were self-centered and acted in ways I didn’t find credible. So overall, I’m not sorry I read it, but didn’t find it to be anything amazing.
Joy N. (Scottsdale, AZ)

The Guest Book
I really liked this book. The story was engaging and the characters were fully developed. She captured the culture of our country during WWII and the racism towards Jews and Black people at that time in a compelling way.I would recommend this book to our younger generation so they would have a window into what the world was like then.

The Islands of Maine

• Book Jacket: Hungry
    Hungry
    by Jeff Gordinier
    Noma, René Redzepi's restaurant in Copenhagen, Denmark, has widely been considered among the ...
  • Book Jacket: With the Fire on High
    With the Fire on High
    by Elizabeth Acevedo
    From Like Water for Chocolate to Ratatouille, writers have recognized the power ...
  • Book Jacket: Lanny
    Lanny
    by Max Porter
    At once beautifully poignant and hauntingly grotesque, Max Porter's Lanny is like an unexpected ...
    Call Me American
    by Abdi Nor Iftin

Beirut Hellfire Society
    by Rawi Hage

A searing and visionary novel set in 1970s Beirut that asks what it means to live through war.

Book Club
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense…"
Entertainment Weekly

Win In the Full Light of the Sun

New from Clare Clark!

"Evocative prose and excellent pacing make this fine historical a must-read for art history buffs."
- Publishers Weekly