Reader reviews and comments on The Guest Book, plus links to write your own review.

The Guest Book

by Sarah Blake

The Guest Book by Sarah Blake X
The Guest Book by Sarah Blake

May 2019, 448 pages
    May 5, 2020, 512 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for The Guest Book

Mary B. (Laguna Woods, CA)

Great historical fiction
This book follows the Milton family through 3 generations from 1935 to today. Grandmother Kitty has many rules the upper class live by and these lead to secrets that almost tear the family apart. I found the alternate chapters in different time periods hard to follow in the beginning, especially since two of the main women are named Evelyn & Evie. The last part of the book is hard to put down. It would make for good discussion in a book club.
Ariel F. (Madison, WI)

A three generation saga
Can money, greed, mistakes, and lack of trust destroy a family? The author of The Guest Book, showed the reader extremely well how money, greed and lack of trust can destroy a family in this 3-generation saga of the Milton family. In some instances, I felt some of the incidents could be tied to things happening today.
A great big thank you to Book Browse and the publisher for providing me with this advanced reading copy of The Guest House to read and review and provide my personal opinions and comments.
Patty S. (Towson, MD)

Family Secrets
The Guest Book is the story of a family, an island, and the secrets that are held within the walls of a treasured house. Sarah Blake has written a beautiful and thoughtful book about the way money and power can color the way we see – and want to be seen in – the world. Ogden and Kitty Milton purchased an island off of the coast of Maine in the 1930s. The grandchildren are now left to decide what to do with it. As they struggle with reality and their childhood memories, they must grapple with the truths they come to know. I love a good family saga, but this one went well beyond my expectations.
Deanna W. (Port Jefferson, NY)

Family Saga
I enjoyed Sarah Blake's previous novel - THE POSTMISTRESS ...Her new novel is also an enjoyable read...THE GUEST BOOK is a family saga that follows three generations of the Miltons ...The reader travels back and forth in time to experience the family myth on a beautiful island in Maine...It covers the classic theme of how we remember and what we choose to forget...It is perfect for Book Groups...
Gail K. (Saratoga Springs, NY)

Kudos to Sarah Blake
Three generations of intriguing women. An exclusive family-owned island off the coast of Maine. Lives of privilege versus lives without. A strict sense of matriarchal duty. Secrets. Regrets. All elements that draw me in for a good read. All elements in Sarah Blake's The Guest Book. I was hooked from page one. Indulge yourself, and take this one to the beach, along with your sand chair, your umbrella, your sunscreen and a nice, cool beverage. Plan to settle in for a long afternoon of reading. You won't be sorry.
Julie

Island Life!
Beautifully written generation story with thorough character development. I enjoyed the detailed description of island life and family traditions. The story reminded me we all act the way we do for a reason and it's better to face our past than bury it! Also, the Milton Family were not the best communicators. It drove me crazy that the granddaughters didn't know the significance of the little yellow car :( I loved Evie's quote "she was in the line up grown-ups behind the child." Good story, read the book and enjoy!
Anl

Good read
Enjoyable read. The typical family saga with a modern twist to include commentary on race, religion, and overall prejudgement. But not overbearing - pretty realistic (having lived through some of that time). Well done characters, and back and forth in time without losing plot line.
A few plot threads were a little weak and not well linked. Not to detail or it will spoil plot.
Vicki

Not a fan of these characters
I would say this was a 3.5 star read for me, rounded up. I was dying to read this after seeing a glowing review from the owner of the Northshire Bookstore, but unfortunately it didn’t live up to my expectations. The plot line was interesting and kept me surprised and reading, but overall I disliked some of the characters. They were self-centered and acted in ways I didn’t find credible. So overall, I’m not sorry I read it, but didn’t find it to be anything amazing.

The Islands of Maine

• Book Jacket: Mighty Justice
    Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree , Katie McCabe
    What it's about:
    Dovey Johnson Roundtree was one of two lawyers who won the landmark case "Sarah ...
  • Book Jacket: The Seine
    The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino
    Of the 24 members who reviewed Elaine Sciolino's The Seine: The River that Made Paris for BookBrowse...
  • Book Jacket: Fireborne
    Fireborne
    by Rosaria Munda
    Inspired by classical political theory and the French Revolution, Rosaria Munda's YA debut Fireborne...
  • Book Jacket: Frankissstein
    Frankissstein
    by Jeanette Winterson
    Jeanette Winterson's futurist sci-fi/alternative history hybrid unfolds in two main timelines. In ...

Nothing to See Here
    by Kevin Wilson

A moving and uproarious novel about a woman who finds meaning caring for two children with remarkable abilities.

The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino

"A soulful, transformative voyage along the body of water that defines the City of Light."
    —Lauren Collins

Win Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

From the author of
Calling Me Home

An emotionally raw and resonant story of two young women connected by a home for "fallen girls," and inspired by historical events.

T Bite T B