What readers think of The Far Field, plus links to write your own review.

The Far Field

Oct 2019, 448 pages

Karen Lewis

There is 1 reader review for The Far Field

TheAvidBookerfly

Perfect mix of love-war-family drama
Storyline/Overview -
The Far Field is a heartbreaking beautiful page turner. The debut novel by Madhuri Vijay (Pushcart prize winner) is an amazing coming-of-age narrative of Shalini’s life. The plot takes her from southern India to Kashmir in the quest of truth and ultimately lands her to the edge of political and personal reckoning. The uniquely flawed characters bring out the best of the story.

My opinion -
I felt the story took a slow start and long buildup time but then sucked me in the frame later on. A little anger in me rose at times due to the foolishness and restlessness of the naive protagonist; oftentimes, I felt that the story was dragging the description of a scene for long (which could be a good thing for someone not acquainted with the Indian lifestyle/setting)
There are some scenes where hardcore opinions about the political turmoil of Kashmir politics have been expressed.
I was disappointed that the story switched between past and present intermittently.
At the end of the story, there is an illegitimate sexual scene described between two unmarried individuals.
Since, I am from India - the book was very special to me and I especially enjoyed and could relate to most of the scenarios described and they also made me nostalgic.
Even though being aware of Indian politics, this was an eye-opener to the conflict from local Kashmiri people point of view for me.
The book transported me to the world where I have come from.

Conclusion -
The biggest appeal for me was the fact that the story was engrossing, wonderfully written, had strong characters and a perfect mix of love-war-family drama. The book also gives an amazing critique of Indian politics for an outsider.

India: A Feast of Languages

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Debt Trap
    The Debt Trap
    by Josh Mitchell
    The Debt Trap by Josh Mitchell opens up the dialogue for meaningful conversations about a problem ...
  • Book Jacket: Razorblade Tears
    Razorblade Tears
    by S. A. Cosby
    Razorblade Tears, a thriller by S.A. Cosby, follows a pair of ex-convicts who team up to avenge the ...
  • Book Jacket: Once There Were Wolves
    Once There Were Wolves
    by Charlotte McConaghy
    In Charlotte McConaghy's second novel after her debut Migrations, environmental biologist Inti Flynn...
  • Book Jacket: The Secret Keeper of Jaipur
    The Secret Keeper of Jaipur
    by Alka Joshi
    Alka Joshi's The Secret Keeper of Jaipur is the sequel to her 2020 bestseller The Henna Artist and ...

In Every Mirror She's Black
by Lola Akinmade Akerstrom
An arresting debut for anyone looking for insight into what it means to be a Black woman in the world.

The Last Chance Library
    by Freya Sampson

Fans of libraries and heartfelt, humorous fiction won't want to miss this one!

Never Saw Me Coming
    by Vera Kurian

"Fun, entertaining and hard to put down."
    The New York Journal of Books

It is a fact of life that any discourse...will always please if it is five minutes shorter than people expect

Pull Y U B T B