Reader reviews and comments on While I Was Gone, plus links to write your own review.

by Sue Miller

Feb 1999, 265 pages
    Feb 2000, 265 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for While I Was Gone

Mimi (01/27/09)

When I was gone, Sue Miller
Is a book that readers can connect to in some way. like Jo, everyone has things they ran away from, and kept hidden till something re-triggers the cryptic secret. Jo is so skeptical about what she is doing. It makes it hard for the reader to visualize what happens next. I love the suspense that I get from the story.
Deborah (02/19/08)

While I Was Gone
A rating of (5) doesn't do this book justice. I was unable to put this book down, and now that I've finished, I keep going back and reading and re-reading parts again and again. Her characters come alive as you keep reading. I'm waiting for the sequel!
(01/26/07)

While I Was Gone by Sue Miller
While I Was Gone is an awesome book. I feel everyone in some way or the other can relate to this book.

The plot revolves around the main character Joey better known as Jo Becker who's friends was murdered. The characteristics of Jo are realistic. From my viewpoint Jo is portrayed as a considerate wife and mother...she's very loving and she loves animals too.

As a thirteen year old I thought this book "While I Was Gone" by Sue Miller has a realistic plot which can be believable. I recommend this book to everyone as I personally thought it was amazing.
kelly (10/19/04)

Very good and exciting! I really enjoyed this book! It took me places in my mind I never thought I could go!!
Michelle (03/10/03)

I thought While You Were gone was a wondeful novel! Im 14 so the feelings of beeing trapped and alone wihen your not relate to me but in a diffrent way. As a teen its not marrige i wouyld liek to run away from, its family/school. Anyways, this book was very enjoyable and i would recomend it to anyone.
Shelly Collins (11/10/02)

The messages about truth and deciet, death and living are so vivid and enlightening. I gained a whole new perspective on how to deal with the trials and tribulations that are common to us all. Miller really hit home.

• Book Jacket: A Gentleman in Moscow
    Night of the Animals
    by Bill Broun

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review