Reader reviews and comments on Charming Billy, plus links to write your own review.

Charming Billy

by Alice McDermott

Charming Billy by Alice McDermott

Jan 1998, 280 pages
    Jan 1999, 243 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Charming Billy

Paul (09/06/06)

Charming while being Disarming
I found this book in a 2nd hand store in Gladstone, New South Wales (Australia). The owner of the store said a friend had sent it to her from America. I read it and it reminded me of my alcoholic and dysfunctional uncles who have passed away, while we who are left behind piece together the memories. I gave it to my mother to read who in turn gave it to a friend. It's a melancholy read, though disarmingly frank and genuinely compassionate. This writer has a true gift.
Clare (09/06/04)

I kept hoping it would get better and read all the way to the end. It didn't get better and I wasted my time.
Sarah Morin (05/19/04)

Charming Billy is an enchanting book, a man loved by everyone driving himself to alcoholism. Is wonderful wife Mauve who has been there all the way for him. He was an aspiring Poet and loved being with his many friends. He made his living working in a Shoe Store! But the Alcohol had ruined his life and the lives of the people around him. His brother and best friend Dennis, often took care of Billy during those late nights, listening to his phone calls at 3 am. A kind man who would pick up the tiniest piece of paper to write his friends and family a note
Mary Sue (06/05/03)

Wasn't able to get past page 50
Anonymous (07/15/01)

Marilyn Bonano
The premise for this novel seems out of sync initially. We are at a funeral, Billy is gone and can't defend himself from the memories others have of him. Chilling thought for the live reader. But, Billy was loved by many for different reasons. And Maeve, his wife, and Dennis, his best friend, help us to know him. I loved McDermott's characters. She made them real. She has such a gift for language and settings. I want to read through all her books now.

• Book Jacket: The Leavers
    The Leavers
    by Lisa Ko

The day before Deming Guo saw his mother for the last time, she surprised him at school. A navy ...

• Book Jacket: Wonderful Feels Like This
    Wonderful Feels Like This
    by Sara Lovestam
  • Book Jacket: Blue Light Yokohama
    Blue Light Yokohama
    by Nicolas Obregon
    Blue Light Yokohama, Nicolás Obregón's crime fiction debut, takes place in an exotic ...

The Book of Summer
    by Michelle Gable

The bestselling author of The Paris Apartment, Michelle Gable now transports readers to Nantucket.

The Scribe of Siena
    by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R