Reader reviews and comments on A Death of No Importance, plus links to write your own review.

A Death of No Importance

Natalie Vaynberg

There is 1 reader review for A Death of No Importance

Michael Haughton

A Death of No Importance by Mariah Fredericks
I will start if with this excerpt from the first paragraph as it seem fitting to what I'm about to say about the writer's style of a so-called mystery book. Here goes

This narrative will be no different than any other. Only the specifics of what is forgotten and remembered will distinguish it as mine. I find this so strange for a novel to be in a writer's narrative as most stories don't.

I was therefore confused by this and I doubt the writer wanted the reader to. A mystery novel like this should never began in a narrative manner. This was disappointing.

As the story unfolds Jane who is the main character was a maid for two wealthy families in England. But one of the families died so Jane had to seek work so that how she got to be apart of the Benchley home as there maid.

I got a little annoyed by what the writer did by mentioning a book and the writer when describing the state if the house when Jane first entered the rooms. Here it goes Mary Roberts Rinehart's thriller When a Man Marrieswas spread-eagled on top. This was not good as most reader would think this book was only written to exposed books.

I will just end my review with this summary and then give my ratings. Here goes : But when Norrie is found murdered at a party, Jane discovers she is uniquely positioned - she's a woman no one sees, but who witnesses everything; who possesses no social power, but that of fierce intellect - and therefore has the tools to solve his murder. There are many with grudges to bear: from the family Norrie was supposed to marry into, to the survivors of a tragic accident in a mine owned by the Newsomes, to the rising anarchists who are sick of those born into wealth getting away with anything they want.

Not much was said to be excited about but not a bad novel so my ratings is 3 out of 5

• Book Jacket: The Kinship of Secrets
    The Kinship of Secrets
    by Eugenia Kim
    Of our 20 First Impressions readers who submitted reviews for The Kinship of Secrets, all rated it ...
  • Book Jacket: Empire of Sand
    Empire of Sand
    by Tasha Suri
    Tasha Suri's debut novel, Empire of Sand, reads like something out of 1001 Arabian Nights, both ...
  • Book Jacket: In Byron's Wake
    In Byron's Wake
    by Miranda Seymour
    It's tempting to think that our age of celebrity worship coupled with the 24-hour news cycle is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Latecomers
    The Latecomers
    by Helen Klein Ross
    The Latecomers is the third novel written by acclaimed author Helen Klein Ross, following What Was ...

Force of Nature
by Jane Harper

As atmospheric, tense, and explosive as her New York Times bestselling debut, The Dry!

House of Stone
    by Novuyo Rosa Tshuma

A masterful debut, pulsing with dark humor, that explores the often destructive act of history-making.

Win To Lay To Rest Our Ghosts

To Lay to Rest Our Ghosts

"Caitlin Hamilton Summie is our modern Chekhov."
- Savvy Verse & Wit