Reader reviews and comments on A Death of No Importance, plus links to write your own review.

A Death of No Importance

Mar 2019, 288 pages

Natalie Vaynberg

There are currently 2 reader reviews for A Death of No Importance

BeckyH

A good mystery with great characters
The backstairs folk always see more than the upper class folks think. Lady’s maid Jane sees and thinks. The writing is good with great characterization, good atmosphere, a realistic portrayal of time and place. Fredericks throws in some real people and real incidents to give breadth to her story.
This is the first of a series with Jane as the sleuth in a tightly crafted mystery. The death is pretty gruesome but, for the squeamish, not dwelled upon. Also, no foul language or steamy sex, just a really good mystery with fully fleshed out characters.
Michael Haughton

A Death of No Importance by Mariah Fredericks
I will start if with this excerpt from the first paragraph as it seem fitting to what I'm about to say about the writer's style of a so-called mystery book. Here goes

This narrative will be no different than any other. Only the specifics of what is forgotten and remembered will distinguish it as mine. I find this so strange for a novel to be in a writer's narrative as most stories don't.

I was therefore confused by this and I doubt the writer wanted the reader to. A mystery novel like this should never began in a narrative manner. This was disappointing.

As the story unfolds Jane who is the main character was a maid for two wealthy families in England. But one of the families died so Jane had to seek work so that how she got to be apart of the Benchley home as there maid.

I got a little annoyed by what the writer did by mentioning a book and the writer when describing the state if the house when Jane first entered the rooms. Here it goes Mary Roberts Rinehart's thriller When a Man Marrieswas spread-eagled on top. This was not good as most reader would think this book was only written to exposed books.

I will just end my review with this summary and then give my ratings. Here goes : But when Norrie is found murdered at a party, Jane discovers she is uniquely positioned - she's a woman no one sees, but who witnesses everything; who possesses no social power, but that of fierce intellect - and therefore has the tools to solve his murder. There are many with grudges to bear: from the family Norrie was supposed to marry into, to the survivors of a tragic accident in a mine owned by the Newsomes, to the rising anarchists who are sick of those born into wealth getting away with anything they want.

Not much was said to be excited about but not a bad novel so my ratings is 3 out of 5

• Book Jacket: With the Fire on High
    With the Fire on High
    by Elizabeth Acevedo
    From Like Water for Chocolate to Ratatouille, writers have recognized the power ...
  • Book Jacket: Lanny
    Lanny
    by Max Porter
    At once beautifully poignant and hauntingly grotesque, Max Porter's Lanny is like an unexpected ...
    Call Me American
    by Abdi Nor Iftin
  • Book Jacket: The Last Collection
    The Last Collection
    by Jeanne Mackin
    What it's about:
    The Last Collection by Jeanne Mackin follows the lives of two internationally ...

Beirut Hellfire Society
    by Rawi Hage

A searing and visionary novel set in 1970s Beirut that asks what it means to live through war.

Book Club
The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense…"
Entertainment Weekly

Win In the Full Light of the Sun

New from Clare Clark!

"Evocative prose and excellent pacing make this fine historical a must-read for art history buffs."
- Publishers Weekly