Reader reviews and comments on Future Home of the Living God, plus links to write your own review.

Future Home of the Living God

Lisa Butts

There is 1 reader review for Future Home of the Living God

lani

speculative world
Not having read any of the reviews, I had no idea what I was getting into. Having been a big fan of Erdrich's other novels, I assumed that this would again be a comparable success.However,it is a novel quite unlike anything she has written before. This speculative fiction portrays a young woman, Cedar, telling the story of her life to her unborn child through a notebook diary. Contrary to most dystopian novels, this was not set in the future. In this strange world, time was turning backwards and vegetation was changing to previous epochs, pregnant women were being herded into hospital prisons, and people were arming themselves through fear of the unknown. I couldn't help feeling an undercurrent of political tones but perhaps I was reading into the novel. As I went through the first third of the novel, my first reaction was that it was sluggish and confusing. After that it picked up and I was truly engrossed in the action. However, during the last quarter of the book in Part 3, it felt like it lost steam. Similar in themes to the Handmaid's Tale, women's bodies become a central issue. With the Harvey Weinstein fiasco, this tale could not be more au courant.

Saint Kateri Tekakwitha

by Anjali Sachdeva
  • Book Jacket: Look Alive Out There
    Look Alive Out There
    by Sloane Crosley
    After a brief (and thoroughly enjoyable) foray into fiction (with her 2015 novel The Clasp), Sloane ...
  • Book Jacket: Winter Sisters
    Winter Sisters
    by Robin Oliveira
    Winter Sisters begins with an epic blizzard (see Beyond the Book) hitting the entire Northeast of ...

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes