Reader reviews and comments on Future Home of the Living God, plus links to write your own review.

Future Home of the Living God

Lisa Butts

There is 1 reader review for Future Home of the Living God

lani

speculative world
Not having read any of the reviews, I had no idea what I was getting into. Having been a big fan of Erdrich's other novels, I assumed that this would again be a comparable success.However,it is a novel quite unlike anything she has written before. This speculative fiction portrays a young woman, Cedar, telling the story of her life to her unborn child through a notebook diary. Contrary to most dystopian novels, this was not set in the future. In this strange world, time was turning backwards and vegetation was changing to previous epochs, pregnant women were being herded into hospital prisons, and people were arming themselves through fear of the unknown. I couldn't help feeling an undercurrent of political tones but perhaps I was reading into the novel. As I went through the first third of the novel, my first reaction was that it was sluggish and confusing. After that it picked up and I was truly engrossed in the action. However, during the last quarter of the book in Part 3, it felt like it lost steam. Similar in themes to the Handmaid's Tale, women's bodies become a central issue. With the Harvey Weinstein fiasco, this tale could not be more au courant.

Saint Kateri Tekakwitha

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Leonardo da Vinci
    by Chloe Benjamin
  • Book Jacket: The Kites
    The Kites
    by Romain Gary, Miranda Richmond Mouillot
    Published by New Directions for the first time in English, Romain Gary's The Kites tells a story of ...

Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig