Reader reviews and comments on Mr. Phillips, plus links to write your own review.

Mr. Phillips

by John Lanchester

Mr. Phillips by John Lanchester

Apr 2000, 304 pages
    Apr 2001, 304 pages

There is 1 reader review for Mr. Phillips

"Old fella" (12/14/10)

Fun but not always funny
A wander through London the first day of your life after being made redundant is an opportunity to do whatever takes your fancy, or stirs your interest. Mr Phillips has some unexpected fun and his recollections and reflections are often droll, even funny. When returning home, and his wife asks "So how was your day?", will Mr Phillips confess that having been made redundant he was not actually at work that day? And will he tell her about his day, in some detail? I rather doubt it. And I doubt that many readers of Lanchester's novel will feel comfortable recommending this literate book to their spouses and children (however mature). Why? Because "sex" crops up too often. And not in many funny ways. Pity!

• Book Jacket: The End of Eddy

by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T's A S B Every M