Reader reviews and comments on The Last Ballad, plus links to write your own review.

The Last Ballad

Jun 2018, 300 pages

Gary Presley

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Last Ballad

Sandi W.

Cash has done it again!!
Written in the true-to-life battle of workers rights, Wiley Cash does what he is so good at.

It is 1929 in Appleton County North Carolina and Ella Mae Wiggins struggles to make ends meet. Ella works in the American Mill #2 - designated mill #2 because they employee African Americans in that mill. Ella is Caucasian, and not only works with but lives in the part of town that African Americans live in. Hers is the only white family there. Likewise, she is paid less money because she works alongside African Americans. She cannot make ends met. When offered a ride to a union rally, Ella accepts. Little did she know how involved she would become as a union leader.

The story is told years later by her daughter, reveling the bitter and tragic life of her Mother. This novel outlines the early struggles of the labor movement in the Appalachian south. It was based on a true story.

This is Cash's third novel. He continues to amaze. Like the author John Hart, you impatiently wait for the next book published and cannot get it in your hands quickly enough.
The Dude

More White Trash Nonsense
So sick of white trash chronicles. Who cares. These filthy crackers never cared for anyone of color. Why should their hardships be chronicled when they barely acknowledge those who aren't white.

• Book Jacket: The Adults
    The Adults
    by Caroline Hulse
    Things have already fallen apart on the first page of The Adults. The novel opens with an emergency ...
  • Book Jacket: News of Our Loved Ones
    News of Our Loved Ones
    by Abigail DeWitt
    The Delasalle family of Abigail DeWitt's News of Our Loved Ones are no strangers to the dark specter...
  • Book Jacket: My Sister, the Serial Killer
    My Sister, the Serial Killer
    by Oyinkan Braithwaite
    While the title of the novel gives away the plot, My Sister, the Serial Killer is essentially a ...
  • Book Jacket: Once Upon a River
    Once Upon a River
    by Diane Setterfield
    The novel is set in Radcot in the late 19th century, where a popular gathering place called the ...

Becoming
by Michelle Obama

An intimate, powerful, and inspiring memoir by the former First Lady of the United States.

At the Wolf's Table
    by Rosella Postorino

The internationally bestselling novel about the women conscripted to be Hitler's food tasters.

Win Uncommon Type

Uncommon Type
by Tom Hanks

Surprising, intelligent, heartwarming, and a must-have for Tom Hanks fans!

Tell I T T M