What readers think of I Know This Much Is True, plus links to write your own review.

I Know This Much Is True

Apr 1999, 901 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for I Know This Much Is True

anonymous

I Know This Much is True
Rarely does a book take me on a voyage of self discovery, and this book definitely has. I could never really identify emotions and feelings in my own life until I read this book and then many questions about myself were answered. A definite must in any collection of books.
Anonymous

Wally Lamb's I Know This Much Is True
About two months ago, in a meeting of the Literary Group, I held out my opinion that tellers of stories wrote best when they had lived the life they were writing about. I cited Sinclair Lewis as the prime example. It is a firm belief I have held for long and I examine every new author I read to see if he or she fulfilled that criterion.
Between the hours of two and four-thirty this quiet winter morning in Philadelphia, I have finished the last few pages of "I Know This Much is True" and find myself hoping that for the sake of his sanity, Wally Lamb had not lived the life of either of the Birdsey twins. What a magnificent story and what a lovely style Lamb has told it! It is difficult to accept that it is only the second book he has written.
I wish I could contact Lamb - I so want to ask him if he cried while writing the book as I wept many times while reading the book, particularly that last line of it where he tells me, the compulsive forgiver, where love grows - I, the man who has for long believed he has seen the toughest that God can handout to any of His creations.
How can a man write a family story with such sensitivity in these days when spying and terrorism have taken over the literary world ?
Bernard Colgan

Must Read.
This is one of those books that you come across every now and again and you bore people about how and why they should read it. The book just drags you into Dominicks world and I'm sure you will identify some aspects of it with your everyday life.
Its a great read. I know this much is true.
Julian

Full circle
While at a local Goodwill, looking for a book to read at work, I spotted Wally Lamb's "I Know This Much Is True". I had never heard of Mr Lamb, never seen or read anything he has ever done, yet somehow this book ended up in my hands. It wasn't until I got home and looked at it again that I noticed the endorsement of the Oprah book club. It was also at home that I saw that it was 900 pages long. 900 pages seem daunting for a weekend read, but I thought, "what the heck" Now a day later I feel a sense of thankfulness for having read it. But, now I find myself in a dilemma: who should I share this with first?
Carmen Cancel Seaman

What a Joy!
Finding a book of over 900 pages that will hold your attention through every page is unimaginable. What a joy to have found that in this. His writing is superb and well balanced. His characters come alive and make you actually care about them. The twists and turns were great and completely unexpected. Thank you Mr. Lamb for a wonderful story.
lulie

beautiful book
I first read this book in '98 and was mesmerized by it and never forgot the characters. I passed on my copy to friends and even bought several books to give out as Christmas gifts that year. Recently I found a copy of the book at the Salvation Army and decided to reread it. Wow, 11 years later and I was shocked at how timeless it feels,this book still resonates with me. I didn't think that there were new lessons or insights to be gleaned from it, but here I was all these years later and it was like reading it for the first time. Whenever anyone asks what's my favorite book, this book is the answer I always give. Thank you Wally Lamb for such a beautiful book that reminds us what it truly is to be human and of the redemptive power of forgiveness. Thank you.
Anonymous

'I Know This Much Is True' is absolutely ENTHRALLING!
In one magnificent novel, Wally Lamb manages to beautifully portray the arrogance of men, the violence of egotists, the inevitable betrayal of those deemed trustworthy, the meaning of wholeness and family, the freedom that comes with forgiving, and the love hidden deep inside those who were once our tormentors. Must-read book for anyone searching for life's deeper meanings.
LupeP

I KnowThis Much is True
I just finished reading this book today and it was truly amazing going through the emotional rollercoaster that this book makes you go through. I recommend it 10 times! And thank goodness for Mrs. Patel's therapy and closing session. It really helped me put this book down! Thank you Mr. Lamb.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Demon of Unrest
    The Demon of Unrest
    by Erik Larson
    In the aftermath of the 1860 presidential election, the divided United States began to collapse as ...
  • Book Jacket: Daughters of Shandong
    Daughters of Shandong
    by Eve J. Chung
    Daughters of Shandong is the debut novel of Eve J. Chung, a human rights lawyer living in New York. ...
  • Book Jacket: Anita de Monte Laughs Last
    Anita de Monte Laughs Last
    by Xochitl Gonzalez
    Brooklyn-based novelist Xochitl Gonzalez is an inspiring writer to follow. At forty, she decided to ...
  • Book Jacket: Icarus
    Icarus
    by K. Ancrum
    The titular protagonist of K. Ancrum's young adult novel Icarus lives a double life that mixes the ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Romantic Comedy
by Curtis Sittenfeld
A comedy writer's stance on love shifts when a pop star challenges her assumptions in this witty and touching novel.

Members Recommend

Daughters of Shandong
    by Eve J. Chung

Eve J. Chung's debut novel recounts a family's flight to Taiwan during China's Communist revolution.

This Strange Eventful History
    by Claire Messud

An immersive, masterful story of a family born on the wrong side of history.

Win This Book
Win Only the Brave

Only the Brave by Danielle Steel

A powerful, sweeping historical novel about a courageous woman in World War II Germany.

F T a T