MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on If the Creek Don't Rise, plus links to write your own review.

If the Creek Don't Rise

Sarah Tomp

There are currently 4 reader reviews for If the Creek Don't Rise

Annalisa Damley

An Appalachian Tale
“If the creek don't rise," debut novel by Leah Weiss, is a treasure. Set in an environment of extremes-wretched poverty amidst the majesty of the NC mountains, its inhabitants scratch out a living in primitive 1970 Appalachia. The book is written in the first person & each character tells its own story, in the dialect of the time of this isolated mountain community. The richness of the writing and its descriptive prose is a joy to read. It brings to life the culture and nature of this remote corner of years gone by. Birdie Rocas (crone/mid-wife/witch) says some of the most memorable lines: "Two men, skinny as hickory sticks, pointed their rifles at us, ready to do us wrong. I won't the cleanest woman, but they was the dirtiest men I seen all year." I didn't want this book to end and look forward to the writer's next work. Can't recommend enough!
Tired Bookreader

Not to be Missed
It's rare that a book grabs you from the first sentence; and yet, that is exactly what happened. The people, the environment, the fear, the hate, the anger, the struggles...all of this made for a book that a person could not wait to keep reading. And then the ending...did NOT see that coming. I love this book and encourage anyone who loves a good tale to pick this one up.
Janet S

Great Appalachian Novel
Wow! this novel grabbed me quickly. I liked how the author introduced/got me into the heads of several folks in the town of Baines Creek. Great technique! At times I laughed and then cried while reading the book.

Throughout the novel I was rooting for the sweet but determined Sadie Blue. Leah Weiss does a great job as a first time novelist. Encore!
jill

Sometimes you make your own happy ending
Tucked in to the Appalachian Mountains, the people of Baines Creek live a hard luck, hard scrabble life. Tied together by tradition, misfortune, and a distrust of outsiders they make their way by whatever means necessary.
A product of that environment, without formal education, a family support system and self-esteem, Sadie Blue does what many girls in her situation are prone to. Sadie falls for the first smooth talking man that looks her way and jumps from a bad situation to a horrible one.
An outsider, with a story of her own to tell, befriends Sadie and gives her the strength to do what needs to be done. With help with some of the creek’s residents, some strange and some downright otherworldly Sadie begins to climb out of the situation she’s found herself in.
The area and its inhabitants and so well written and deeply explored that you can almost visualize them. I could not put this book down and its inhabitants have stayed with me in the days afterward.

Moonshine Mania

• Book Jacket: Follow Me to Ground
    by Sue Rainsford
    Ada and her father are human-like beings who age slowly and possess the power to heal all illness. ...
  • Book Jacket: Children of the Land
    Children of the Land
    by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
    In this exquisitely crafted memoir, Marcelo Hernandez Castillo describes coming of age as a young ...
  • Book Jacket: A Good Neighborhood
    A Good Neighborhood
    by Therese Anne Fowler
    After fictionalized biographies of Zelda Fitzgerald (Z, 2013) and Alva Vanderbilt (A Well-Behaved ...
  • Book Jacket: Little Gods
    Little Gods
    by Meng Jin
    Little Gods, Meng Jin's intricate, emotionally intelligent debut, opens with a scene in which ...

Father of Lions
    by Louise Callaghan

A true-to-life narrative of one man's remarkable quest to save the Mosul Zoo.

Cartier's Hope
    by M. J. Rose

A Gilded Age gem of ambition & betrayal from the author of New York Times bestseller, Tiffany Blues.

American Dirt
by Jeanine Cummins

"American Dirt is a Grapes of Wrath for our times."
—Don Winslow

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I