Reader reviews and comments on If the Creek Don't Rise, plus links to write your own review.

If the Creek Don't Rise

Sarah Tomp

There are currently 3 reader reviews for If the Creek Don't Rise

Tired Bookreader

Not to be Missed
It's rare that a book grabs you from the first sentence; and yet, that is exactly what happened. The people, the environment, the fear, the hate, the anger, the struggles...all of this made for a book that a person could not wait to keep reading. And then the ending...did NOT see that coming. I love this book and encourage anyone who loves a good tale to pick this one up.
Janet S

Great Appalachian Novel
Wow! this novel grabbed me quickly. I liked how the author introduced/got me into the heads of several folks in the town of Baines Creek. Great technique! At times I laughed and then cried while reading the book.

Throughout the novel I was rooting for the sweet but determined Sadie Blue. Leah Weiss does a great job as a first time novelist. Encore!
jill

Sometimes you make your own happy ending
Tucked in to the Appalachian Mountains, the people of Baines Creek live a hard luck, hard scrabble life. Tied together by tradition, misfortune, and a distrust of outsiders they make their way by whatever means necessary.
A product of that environment, without formal education, a family support system and self-esteem, Sadie Blue does what many girls in her situation are prone to. Sadie falls for the first smooth talking man that looks her way and jumps from a bad situation to a horrible one.
An outsider, with a story of her own to tell, befriends Sadie and gives her the strength to do what needs to be done. With help with some of the creek’s residents, some strange and some downright otherworldly Sadie begins to climb out of the situation she’s found herself in.
The area and its inhabitants and so well written and deeply explored that you can almost visualize them. I could not put this book down and its inhabitants have stayed with me in the days afterward.

Moonshine Mania

• Book Jacket: The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock
    The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock
    by Imogen Hermes Gowar
    The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock, the debut novel from brilliant new literary talent Imogen Hermes Gowar...
  • Book Jacket: Rust & Stardust
    Rust & Stardust
    by T Greenwood
    Highly readable and tightly plotted, T. Greenwood's Rust and Stardust achieves the perfect ...
  • Book Jacket: American Prison
    American Prison
    by Shane Bauer
    After spending over two years in Iran's notorious Evin Prison for supposedly crossing the country's ...
  • Book Jacket: Small Fry
    Small Fry
    by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
    Small Fry is the debut memoir from Lisa Brennan-Jobs, long-time journalist and writer, and oldest ...

The Winter Soldier by Daniel Mason

A story of war and medicine, of finding love in the sweeping tides of history, and of the mistakes we make.

Sold on a Monday
    by Kristina McMorris

An unforgettable novel inspired by a stunning piece of history.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter