Reader reviews and comments on The Ninth Hour, plus links to write your own review.

The Ninth Hour

Lisa Butts

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Ninth Hour

bridgnut

The Ninth Hour
At first I thought this was a religious book but I feel it was about how you live your life. The nuns were all different so you could associate with them in your own life.

The author writes great descriptions about everything.

Phrases I liked.

Truth finds the light.
Lies never stay hidden.
Love's a tonic, not a cure.
Kate Collins

A GREAT STORY.
Aside from all other wonderfully wrought considerations it is a thrilling story of life abounding which I told twice in the one day I finished the book. It is really thrilling.
susan

"and then she thought better of it."
The Ninth Hour begins with Jim's suicide and though he is gone and is only briefly introduced to us (the readers) he permeates the story line. His widow is given a job as an assistant laundress by the Sisters and his daughter grows up in the convent laundry surrounded and influenced by these women of God. His widow, Annie, sacrifices her life for her daughter and to make restitution for Jim's sins. The daughter decides to become a nun "until she thinks better of it." We are drawn into the family story of these two and the people who populate their lives. It is a story of life's trials and the decisions made under the influence of one single act by another. A poignant and well-told tale!

• Book Jacket: Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...
  • Book Jacket: The Boneless Mercies
    The Boneless Mercies
    by April Genevieve Tucholke
    The Mercies are assassins, part of a long tradition of killers who serve to end the suffering of the...
  • Book Jacket: Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen
    Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen
    by Sarah Bird
    Sarah Bird's historical novel, Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen, imagines, with a grand flourish, ...
  • Book Jacket: Washington Black
    Washington Black
    by Esi Edugyan
    Sometimes you just want a good adventure story. One that does not follow a predictable pattern and ...

Code Girls
by Liza Mundy

The riveting story of the USA's courageous and accomplished WWII female American code breakers.

The Kennedy Debutante
    by Kerri Maher

"An engrossing tale of family, faith and love in the life of one remarkable woman." - Booklist

Win Gone So Long

Andre Dubus III's First Novel in a Decade

A masterpiece of thrilling tension and heartrending empathy.

G H E Rope A H Will H H