Reader reviews and comments on The Ninth Hour, plus links to write your own review.

The Ninth Hour

Lisa Butts

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Ninth Hour

bridgnut

The Ninth Hour
At first I thought this was a religious book but I feel it was about how you live your life. The nuns were all different so you could associate with them in your own life.

The author writes great descriptions about everything.

Phrases I liked.

Truth finds the light.
Lies never stay hidden.
Love's a tonic, not a cure.
Kate Collins

A GREAT STORY.
Aside from all other wonderfully wrought considerations it is a thrilling story of life abounding which I told twice in the one day I finished the book. It is really thrilling.
susan

"and then she thought better of it."
The Ninth Hour begins with Jim's suicide and though he is gone and is only briefly introduced to us (the readers) he permeates the story line. His widow is given a job as an assistant laundress by the Sisters and his daughter grows up in the convent laundry surrounded and influenced by these women of God. His widow, Annie, sacrifices her life for her daughter and to make restitution for Jim's sins. The daughter decides to become a nun "until she thinks better of it." We are drawn into the family story of these two and the people who populate their lives. It is a story of life's trials and the decisions made under the influence of one single act by another. A poignant and well-told tale!

• Book Jacket: The Body
    The Body
    by Bill Bryson
    Many of Bill Bryson's fans first became familiar with his work through his autobiographical travel ...
  • Book Jacket: The Price We Pay
    The Price We Pay
    by Marty Makary
    The Hippocratic Oath is one of the oldest affidavits in history, originating in ancient Greece. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Fountains of Silence
    The Fountains of Silence
    by Ruta Sepetys
    The Spanish Civil War and its aftermath was a complicated period in history. The issues each side ...
  • Book Jacket: Curious Toys
    Curious Toys
    by Elizabeth Hand
    In Curious Toys, Elizabeth Hand tells the story of Vivian, a 14-year-old girl disguised as a boy ...

Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree & Katie McCabe

An inspiring life story that speaks urgently to our troubled times.

Win Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

From the author of
Calling Me Home

An emotionally raw and resonant story of two young women connected by a home for "fallen girls," and inspired by historical events.

W G Up M C D