Reader reviews and comments on Happiness, plus links to write your own review.

Happiness

The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever After

by Heather Harpham

Happiness by Heather Harpham X
Happiness by Heather Harpham

Aug 2017, 320 pages
    Nov 2018, 320 pages

There are currently 54 reader reviews for Happiness

Kristina H. (West Orange, NJ)

A Moving Tale of Motherhood
Heather Harpham knows words well. She knows how to craft a lyrical story; funny, poignant, heartwarming. While I'm not normally the type of person to pick up a unknown author's memoir, I'm so glad I did, because this one read like a fiction. Better than most fiction, to be honest. The only thing that I didn't like was the title. I get it; this is Harpham's road to happiness: a bumpy, thrill-ride through life's ups and downs to get to where she is today. But to me, this book was more about the courage of a woman and mother, one who faces both rational new-parent anxieties as well as unbelievably heart-wrenching circumstances. This book stayed with me a long time afterwards. Highly recommended.
Cindy C. (Withee, WI)

Great book, even more so because it actually happened
It seems strange to say you loved a book that shares such painful memories, but I did. The book goes beyond the author's story as she was also able to share the stories of other parents who had children in the same hospital ward where her daughter was. I think that adds to the story. My favorite part is the section of the book where Harpham shares her notes day by day. From the beginning you want to know how the story is going to end, but especially as she draws in you in to a day to day look at the events as they happened. I kept wanting to skip forward, but did not. This is a book that I would recommend to all readers, but especially to parents as it shows you what it truly means to parent and how different people can deal with the same set of circumstances differently.
Andrea B. (Pleasant Prairie, WI)

Life Rarely Travels in a Straight Line
Heather's life was relatively mundane at the beginning of this novel. She had steady income, was in a committed relationship with Brian, and had plans for the future. Those plans and her life were radically changed when she became pregnant.
I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and was interested in what happened to them. Medical issues and the ethical decisions that were raised were seamlessly woven into the storyline. I loved this book!
Linda M. (Lititz, PA)

Happiness The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever After...
This book is a memoir. The author was excellent at making the reader feel what she was feeling at that particular moment. It takes the reader through her surprise pregnancy which her partner ran out on her, to the delivery of what looks like a healthy child to 24 hrs later finding out she has a very very sick child. You follow her through band-aid treatments, her returning partner and many more ups and downs until they find a permanent treatment that works and then follows until the end. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a great read, which I found hard to put down and wished the story didn't end.
Kathy D. (Spotsylvania, VA)

I loved this book!
This book grabbed my attention from the very beginning and never let go. Harpham has a gift with words, allowing us to know her thoughts and emotions in such a way that we, too, can feel her conflict, her joy, her turmoil, her fear. The choices she and her partner Brian had to make were difficult and heart-wrenching, weighted by heavy risks at every step along the way. How do you even begin to make decisions like these, especially with conflicting medical advice? I loved Gracie's amazing spirit, shining brightly even through the darkest moments. Harpham's realization about happiness was a remarkable discovery indeed. I loved this book!
tracy b

A fly on the wall
I loved this book. I felt like I was right there with all of the interesting family & friends. Life took Heather in many directions through every emotion that one can imagine. Support of family & friends was amazing. Most of all her, then their faithful risks kept me in suspense. Terrific writing Heather thanks for sharing.
Ariel F. (Madison, WI)

Happiness does not always come as you expect it to!
This well written memoir is about a family with a seriously ill child. Starting with an unmarried mother on the west coast and the father on the east coast, the author takes the reader into their world. Single and dealing with a seriously ill child, the mother has to make life changing decision.
Lynn H. (Des Moines, IA)

Happiness: The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever After
Happiness is a book of love, compassion, vulnerability and fear. I could not put this moving book down. It grips you from the first page and keeps you turning pages until the last page when you are so sorry the book has come to an end. This book demonstrates the love of a parent for a child in such a gut-gripping way it makes you hug your own child and not let go. This book is so memorable and gripping because it is a true story and you root for the health of a beautiful little girl and the relationship between her parents. I will recommend this book to everyone I know.

Becoming a Bone Marrow Donor

• Book Jacket: Territory of Light
    Territory of Light
    by Yuko Tsushima
    Set in Tokyo during the late 1970s, Yūko Tsushima's Territory of Light chronicles a year in the...
  • Book Jacket: Unmarriageable
    Unmarriageable
    by Soniah Kamal
    Soniah Kamal makes no secret of the fact that her novel Unmarriageable is a retelling of Jane Austen...
  • Book Jacket: The Paragon Hotel
    The Paragon Hotel
    by Lyndsay Faye
    Lyndsay Faye's arresting The Paragon Hotel focuses on how disparate groups of marginalized people ...
  • Book Jacket: When Death Becomes Life
    When Death Becomes Life
    by Joshua D. Mezrich
    Though it happened more than ten years ago, Joshua Mezrich still clearly remembers setting out in a ...

Becoming
by Michelle Obama

An intimate, powerful, and inspiring memoir by the former First Lady of the United States.

Sounds Like Titanic
    by Jessica Chiccehitto Hindman

"A tricky, unnerving, consistently fascinating memoir."
    --Kirkus, starred review

The Night Tiger
    by Yangsze Choo

"Wonderfully combines a Holmes-esque plot with Chinese lore."
    --PW, starred review

Win Cherokee America

Cherokee America
by Margaret Verble

An epic novel from the author of the Pulitzer Prize finalist Maud's Line.

P C, Absolute P C A